Sign in to follow this  
relic1864

neutral safety switch

Sometimes after driving my car and getting back in it later I turn the starter key and nothing happens. I thought it was my starter selonoid so I replaced it and it has been starting fine ever since...about a month now. Then last weekend it wouldn't start again. Would not turn over or nothing..just turn the key and nothing. Lights work, battery good, everything new under hood. I tryed starting in neutral and it started but I think I tryed it before and it didn't start. Could this be a worn neutral safety switch? If so how do I go about putting in a new one? thanks

I suspect you could bypass the switch to test. It plugs into the harness under the hood by the firewall kind of behind the engine, but its easy to get to. Just trace the wire from the tranny. You would have to look a wiring diagram, not sure how the switch works. It either just needs unplugging or jumped depending.

I have determined it is the neutral safety switch. It works sometimes and other times it dont. It will start in neutral though. I have found a manuel and read on how to adjust it but I might just buy a new switch to be sure it will work.Has anyone else tryed adjusting their neutral safety switch?

I had the same issue with my car last year. Traced the problem to the neutral safety switch. Apparently the wires come in contact with the headers and melted. Would only start in neutral until I sourced the burned out wires.