Sign in to follow this  
bigperm2

quarter panel replacement and seam sealer

I have finished up replacing my quarter panels and outer wheelhouses, and am ready to apply seam sealer. I would like opinions as to what to do in the lower rear corner. I have seen these "drains" listed in parts catalogs, but never seen them in person. I see two options. I could try to seal everything up, but then if any water does get in the trunk area, it could pond up. Or, I could leave a small hole, but that would practically gurantee that water would be in the trunk area, but would not pond. Not to mention, after a few years it would likely be plugged with debris from the trunk. Any opinions are greatly apreciated!

I have finished up replacing my quarter panels and outer wheelhouses, and am ready to apply seam sealer. I would like opinions as to what to do in the lower rear corner. I have seen these "drains" listed in parts catalogs, but never seen them in person. I see two options. I could try to seal everything up, but then if any water does get in the trunk area, it could pond up. Or, I could leave a small hole, but that would practically gurantee that water would be in the trunk area, but would not pond. Not to mention, after a few years it would likely be plugged with debris from the trunk. Any opinions are greatly apreciated!

When I replaced my drop off panels in my '70, I cut out the piece of metal that held the old quarter panel drain plug and useing it as a pattern I scribed and cut out a new hole into the new panels. I ordered new quarter panel drain plugs and will install them when I finish painting it.

When I replaced my drop off panels in my '70, I cut out the piece of metal that held the old quarter panel drain plug and useing it as a pattern I scribed and cut out a new hole into the new panels. I ordered new quarter panel drain plugs and will install them when I finish painting it.

My drain plug must have rusted out. I have no idea what it looks like or where it goes. I looked at my Dads 68, and didn't see one, but I may be looking at the wrong place. Is the drain plug something that manually has to be opened?

My drain plug must have rusted out. I have no idea what it looks like or where it goes. I looked at my Dads 68, and didn't see one, but I may be looking at the wrong place. Is the drain plug something that manually has to be opened?