Sign in to follow this  
Jayru

3.55's or 3.80's (Rear Gear)?

I don't think anyone can debate that a 9" is way stronger than an 8", the real argument is where the threshold is and if you really need a 9" or not. I think a lot of folks tend to overbuild there cars and upgrade way more stuff than they will ever need, sure it's all cool but if it never gets put to the test it's really just money wasted.

I can't remember how long ago it was, could be 1-3 years ago but there was a great 67' fastback build in Mustang Monthly where the goal wasn't so much to build a monster but do a modest 351 build and cut weight as apposed to just increasing cubes and horses to see how it stacked up against a bloated big block and the main reason I remember this article so well is because they went into some detail about why they chose a built 8" over a 9", it really changed my mind on thinking I needed a 9". A lot of the legend around the 9" being bullet proof and the 8" being insufficent has to do with irresponsible and unbalanced builds over the years and not so much the quality of the parts. I tried to find that article on line but came up empty, I'll bet I can find it easier just thumbing thru pile of mags this weekend.

I did find this article though which may have a lot of the same info in it. http://mustangmonthly.automotive.com/44018/mump-0009-ford-8-inch-rearend-build/index.html

Granted if the dollar amounts were equal then it would be foolish not to go with a 9" but the 8" doesn't have to be a lost cause.

Very true Pak.

The guy who built my 8" center section says great strides have been made with the 8" - Stronger gears/pinions, better posi units, stronger cases... he states they will easily support 550hp. That seems like a bit of an overstatement, but i plan to possibly spray a 100shot on my car (should do 450hp total) and take it to the track this summer, so i guess i'll be the guinea pig on here!

Very true Pak.

The guy who built my 8" center section says great strides have been made with the 8" - Stronger gears/pinions, better posi units, stronger cases... he states they will easily support 550hp. That seems like a bit of an overstatement, but i plan to possibly spray a 100shot on my car (should do 450hp total) and take it to the track this summer, so i guess i'll be the guinea pig on here!

When you Hook it on Slicks you will wish that you built the 9" I do however have a feeling that you will snap an axle before you tear the center out of it tho.

But if you spray it and it hooks you will eventually tear it up :( but if your only occasionally gonna beat on it it will probably live.

Just remember this one simple thing.....Wheel Hop Breaks Axles.....I have personally killed 2 axles that way :P well I dont think I killed the one in the 9" cuz my bud had wheel hopped it most of the night then I hooked it and it snapped, pretty sure it was dead I just finished it :P

But Good luck with it.....If you do break an axle let me know I have some 8" Axles and complete rear here at the house for parts LOL

Mike

When you Hook it on Slicks you will wish that you built the 9" I do however have a feeling that you will snap an axle before you tear the center out of it tho.

But if you spray it and it hooks you will eventually tear it up :( but if your only occasionally gonna beat on it it will probably live.

Just remember this one simple thing.....Wheel Hop Breaks Axles.....I have personally killed 2 axles that way :P well I dont think I killed the one in the 9" cuz my bud had wheel hopped it most of the night then I hooked it and it snapped, pretty sure it was dead I just finished it :P

But Good luck with it.....If you do break an axle let me know I have some 8" Axles and complete rear here at the house for parts LOL

Mike