Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Removing hood (and hinges) for better access

Hey guys, am going to be diving into a few projects, including Power Booster, proportioning valve, clutch rebuild, etc. and would probably appreciate the improved access by removing the hood.

My question is two-part:

1. Do folks generally remove the hood for these types of projects?

2. If so, would you recommend taking the hinges and hood off as a unit, or just the hood (leaving the hinges on)?

I don't want to create more work than necessary and the hood currently fits oh-so-perfect, so I would appreciate any thoughts.

Tom

The projects you are describing would be much easier to remove the hood especially for the power brake booster I just did mine and I wish I would removed the hood also for that one project it will make it allot easier to remove the export brace as well. To make sure your hood goes back on the hinges correctly get a scratching tool or a pencil and outline were the hinges mount to the hood no need to remove the hinges themselves as they don't interfere with what you are doing.

Hood-yes, but don't mess with the hinges. 9 times out of 10 the little nuts that the hinge bolts use will twist out of the inner fender. You could be easy and work them with plenty of oil, and clean the threads from under the fender but not worth the trouble to remove the whole hinge IMO. Plus they are a pain to get back on and adjusted.

Edited by SlimeGold 69