Sign in to follow this  
Wade

rear license plate bracket

I got my new registration sticker for a license plate and went to put the license plate on the rear and discovered that the bottom holes do not line up. Is there a bracket that bolts to the car and then the plate bolts to the bracket?

I thought I'd start with one of the easy problems I've encountered. There are a couple of other issues I figured I'll tackle later.

The license plate is held on with only the top two holes which attach to the bracket that is just under the bumper. The two holes in the bottom suppoer bracket are for rubber pads that keep the plate from vibrating.

Thanks! where can I get the replacement rubber pads for it?

can I just pick up something from one of the local autoparts stores or will I need to get it from one of the online vintage mustang parts suppliers?

By the way, that does make sense. When I held the plate in place it looked like it was going to angle down too much and not be straight vertically. I really like to do every detail as correct as possible with everything I do. That can be seen as a disability! At least it drives my wife crazy sometimes.

Edited by Wade

OK, I got the rubber pieces I needed.

Now when I try to put in the plastic square inserts into the square holes in the car, they don't fit!

The holes measure 7/16" square, the plastic piece measure 3/8" at the narrow part that is supposed to fit snugly in the hole. The widest part is 7/16" where the piece flares out. I tried to hold it in place form the rear and put a screw in hoping that the screw would spread the fastener enough to keep it secure. Instead it just wants to spin around in the hole and even when I get it screwed in a bit, the piece comes out of the hole easily.

I wonder if the rear panel has been replaced with an aftermarket and the holes were made too big, or if I just can't find the correct piece for it. I went to 3 auto parts stores and all of them had the same size.

Anyone else have a problem like this?

I know it seems like a trivial little problem to have but I wanted to avoid using a bolt with a nut on the back side.

I just measured mine (the front one, rear bracket should be the same) and the square holes measure 3/8 x 3/8. The screw that goes into the plastic insert to spread it apart is a short stubby (about 1/2" long) hex head with integrated washer, sheet metal type of screw that is 1/4 " in dia. (outside to outside of threads). Using this size of screw really flares out the plastic against the bracket holding it real tight. What size screw are you using or it could be your square holes have been modified. The rear bracket is spot welded onto the valence, so I doubt that someone has replaced with something other than stock. I hope this helps.

I just measured mine (the front one, rear bracket should be the same) and the square holes measure 3/8 x 3/8. The screw that goes into the plastic insert to spread it apart is a short stubby (about 1/2" long) hex head with integrated washer, sheet metal type of screw that is 1/4 " in dia. (outside to outside of threads). Using this size of screw really flares out the plastic against the bracket holding it real tight. What size screw are you using or it could be your square holes have been modified. The rear bracket is spot welded onto the valence, so I doubt that someone has replaced with something other than stock. I hope this helps.

Thank you very much for measuring, it solved the mystery for me. They do not make and of those plastic inserts to fit a 7/16 x 7/16 square hole.

So the rear valance must have been replaced and the after market one has the holes made too big in it. I'm using the same set up you are but it will not flare it out enough and the license plate will just fall off. That is the largest size made, I tried everywhere, several auto parts stores and online. I guess I will have to resort to a bolt with a locking nut for now.

Thanks.