Sign in to follow this  
unfrozen1969

Door skins

I had a few donor doors to practice on, and there was a lot of bondo involved when I was grinding. The doors from my project car are in much better shape than the ones that I have been practicing on. I have one donor door left to practice on before I work on the real thing. Grinding was okay, except when I got near the door handle area and the curve in teh door, and that is where the grinder often bit in and dug into the frame of the door. It was not too drastic, and I am sure that the new door skin would cover any cuts.

Did you guys prep the interior metal of your door and skins with any primer or rust inhibitor before putting in your glass? If so what did you use?

I would like to weld my doors, but I am not that strong at welding and may have to go to a body shop to have them done. Gluing is an option, but just does not seem as permanent, even though I have seen TV shows where they have glued front fenders, roof skins etc, so I really don't know at the moment.

Bill

I was thinking on doing the door skins for my Coupe but on further inspection they are both badly rotted all the way thru the main door structure. So it looks like a couple of new door shells are on my to do list after I am done fixing quater panel rot.

I was thinking on doing the door skins for my Coupe but on further inspection they are both badly rotted all the way thru the main door structure. So it looks like a couple of new door shells are on my to do list after I am done fixing quater panel rot.

I just found out that one of my repop door shells is too short and too slim to actually work on the car. Since I bought them over a year ago Mustangs Unlimited will not take it back. They were repop doors with Made in Korea stickers on them. When you get the repops I'd say measure every dimension of the door, including the lip that the window felt screws into (that was too slim as well) to be certain the door will come close to fitting. So I'm going to take a shot at saving my original. It was pretty bad but it might be salvagable.

I just found out that one of my repop door shells is too short and too slim to actually work on the car. Since I bought them over a year ago Mustangs Unlimited will not take it back. They were repop doors with Made in Korea stickers on them. When you get the repops I'd say measure every dimension of the door, including the lip that the window felt screws into (that was too slim as well) to be certain the door will come close to fitting. So I'm going to take a shot at saving my original. It was pretty bad but it might be salvagable.

Nice to know, I bought mine from National Parts Depot in Ocala, FL. I have thought about buying a complete new door, but mine have the speaker cut outs which is suppose to be rare.

I will take a look at my skins to see how they measure up, thanks for letting me know.

Bill