Sign in to follow this  
Handegard

Thinking about a cam for the '70

Now that I bought my fiance the '97 Explorer, I'm free to tear the '70 apart...

I'm going to take the engine out and re-gasket it, re-ring it, valve job, etc, clean, and repaint. Nothing major is wrong, just leaky/dirty and old.

Now, the car has stock exhaust manifolds and a stock 2bbl. That won't be changing anytime soon (this car stays stock)

Will a cam make any difference at all? I'm thinking that a cam won't help without breathing mods, which I'm not allowed to do.

I ask because I'm considering putting a roller cam in it, so if I'm ordering a camshaft anyway, something with a little more Zip than a OE profile would be nice...

It wont help you much unless you do the other mods to compliment it which would be the eghaust first. I used to sell auto and performance parts for years and some people would change the cam first and then wouldn't be happy with the way it would run untill they made the other changes.

This is a nice roller cam for a vintage small block. I put one in my 302 after seeing a T-Bird with the same cam. It won't turn you into a 10-second quarter miler, but it's a definite upgrade that gives you a great (just enough) lope at idle.

http://tinyurl.com/yabuk9g

I added roller rockers to complete the conversion, as well as a dual exhaust and 4-bbl carb; the cam upgrade alone probably isn't worth the expense, though.