Sign in to follow this  
Rad69

Has anyone bought a crate engine for their 69?

I am looking at rebuilding my 302 engine and got a quote from the local race shop. To machine the block, heads and crank, plus balance the rotating assembly was $3500. I was not expecting it to cost that much so I am now looking for a crate motor. I was wondering if anyone has a good source or recommendations for one. Summit has the Ford Racing 306 cid for $3495. Any advice?

Thanks

Also look at Summit and their "Blueprint" brand engines, or go to the Blueprint website. Note that these are certainly NOT balanced and "blueprinted" engines but could be a terrific value. Sometimes I wish I weren't so precious with my build and I just ordered one of these bad boys, and had a quick delivery, but live and learn I guess . . .

I agree that you are being taken advantage of with that machine shop. My long block rebuild and assembly with new ss valves, guides, springs and porting along with forged pistons and balancing was $2,300. I will tell you that the heads were the stock ones and the pistons are dished so i only have about 9.1 to 9.3 compression ratio. The Comp Cam used with this combination only netted me 217 hp to the rear wheels and thats with headers, performer intake and 670 holley avenger carb. Very dissappointing. If i had to do it again, I would go with the Ford Racing crate engine you are looking at. 340 flywheel hp is close to 100 more than i'm producing. Now i have to look at a roller cam conversion and a set of AFR 165 aluminum heads to gain that 100 hp at a cost of around $2,000 more dollars and all the tear down. Best of luck with your decision.

After you guys confirmed that I was probably getting rapped. I called a couple of more places in the area to get quotes. I haven't recieved any yet bought I hope to see some significant savings. I am still thinking of the Ford racing engine. Does anyone know if this will bolt right into the car or not? I'm going to call the Tech line to get the details. I was also wondering if my Edelbrock Torker 289 intake would work on it too. Thanks for the feed back guys!

We spent about $2500 on my 460 rebuild, and that included all machine work, balancing, and some un-foreseens like replacing the harmonic balancer, timing cover, and intake due to cracks...

I can easily see spending $3500 on a performance rebuild, but you can get a quality rebuild done for far less

m3rol, What is suppose to be so bad about the 2011 5lts( you do mean 5 liters) engines.

sorry, I mixed english with spanish abbreviatons.

Autoblog has a nice article

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/28/2011-ford-mustang-gt-offcially-rolls-with-a-5-0-v8/

quick info :

Employing 32-valves and Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing(Ti-VCT), the new 5.0 produces a mighty 412 horsepower and 390 pound-feet of torque.

six-speed manual Mustang gets 24 mpg on the highway and 16 mpg in the big city, same as the current car.

nice isn't it?

Even the new v6 with 300 hp and less weight will be a nice engine for my 69 coupe, a lot of money and a lot of work to do to get it in the 69 but i think it will worth it.

Sorry but my english is very rusty :tongue:

I think I will wait ( and save money ) for a wrecked 2011 with manual tranny, until then, i will enjoy my 302. I wont care if it is a v6 or a v8, 300hp at least is a big improvement... hopefully it will be a v8 :shifty: