Sign in to follow this  
Cardnial Mach 1

FMX to 4 spd toploader

I,m thinking about changing to a toploader from a FMX. I have the tranny with shifter assembly, bell housing,pressure plate. Other then the clutch and brake pedals and arms, what else would be required? driveshaft? Another question, is, this is a all original restored Mach, but it's not a numbers match car with the original block that came from the factory, but it is the original sizes on the VIN. If I change , will that increase or decrease the value?:scared:

Sounds like you have just about everything you need to put the toploader in. The speedo cable and gear will need to be changed work with the toploader and I'm not sure about the driveshaft. It may need to be longer or shorter, just check it when you get the trans in. If it won't work a driveshaft is easy to find.

As for the value, I wouldn't sweat it. If it's what you want then go for it. If nothing else the 4 speed would make it more valuable to most. If It's not numbers matching or a super rare car, have fun with it.

Today since you have the parts to convert I'd say it would not hurt the value and might even help. down the road as these cars get harder to find in original condition and unkidderized I'd say it will hurt it's value. if you want the 4 spd go ahead and convert it and just keep all your auto parts so it can be switched back. no harm done that way.