Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Window Regulator - wondering if it's toast

Howdy gents, am moving onto another issue on this 69 GT Coupe: the Driver's window. It requires a whole bunch of force to move the window. I've lubed the crap out of everything that even seems to be remotely involved with the rolling (pivot points, tensioner spring, slots, those two risers, etc. It actually moves pretty smooth in spots, but there are several points where it just sticks altogether.

More alarmingly, it seems to "hang up" on the same position every time and there's a metallic clunking sound if I persist on rolling through it.

I looked very close at that little semi-circular gear and it looks like it's been worn away in spots. Sometimes the teeth are square, others look very pointy and irregular. If I rub my fingers along it, I get a combo of the lithium grease that I put on and what looks like metal filings.

The roller mechanism that engages the gear actually looks like it's frame is slightly bent from all the muscle it's taken to roll this thing up. Just another observation.

The passenger side rolls up and down like buttah.

I guess I'm wondering a couple of things:

* Is it likely that the regulator gear is hopelessly screwed?

* Is there any suggestion to salvaging what I have?

* Is it really, really awful to replace the regulator?

As usual, I despair every time I run into something brand new, so I appreciate any advice, experience or calming stories!

Thanks

Tom

Mine was doing the same thing, it turned out to be the regulator arms catching on bolts on the way up. the arms run VERY close to lots of things, if they're bent even a 1/4" or have a little slop they can catch sometimes. take the panel off and with a good light slowly roll the window up until it hargs up, you should find it.

It could be something is toast, but I'd try that first.

Hey Scode, thanks for the tip. I had the door panel off during my lubing experiment, but went back out looking for some kind of hang up like you described. I probably didn't explain myself well in the original post...

The scissors move "pretty good" in certain spots, but god-awful in others. As I put a light on that little gear, I can see it getting hung up in the roller mechanism; it seems to bend slightly then POP it releases. It takes a ton of force to get through those rough spots. In other words, I don't see any other blockages except the gear itself seems like it isn't moving through the mechanism well.

Does that make more sense?

Tom

Well it could be your problem, if the gears are worn bad enough it could try to pick up another tooth too soon and catch the top of it.

Try this, crank it up until it catches, hold the tension on it and see if the regulator arms are loose and feel free, if they don't they're probably catching on something, if they do it almost has to be in the gears.

You can always support the window in the door and remove the regulator to get a better look at it. 6 or 8 bolts if IRCC. Clamp or bolt it down to your work bench and crank it. Sounds similar to the problem I had with my driver's side one and I replaced it since I was living in an apartment at the time and didn't have a space to work on it. Figure the passenger side one was rarely used compared to the driver's side.