Sign in to follow this  
Daves69Coupe

Need help re bolting down my 8" Rear

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem im having. I reassembled my rear but it started leaking fluid around the pinion seal. Bad pinion seal? Maybe the pilot seal? Or could it just be a different tightening procedure i need to use?

If it's leaking around the seal it has to be the seal, it won't effect a leak but you say tightening it down, did you set it up proper with a new crush sleeve?

If it's set up right you can mark the pinion and the nut with a punch, take the yoke off and replace the seal. then just tighten the nut back to it's original setting, I've heard you shouldn't do that but I've done it myself for years and know others who have and never a problem.

That would be the pinion seal, if you didn't put a little silicone under the washer a little oil could leak around the splines, but not much.

Did you pull the yoke off? if you had it apart you're going to have to get it set up so just replace the seal while you're at it.

If you pull the yoke off without marking the nut then put it back on you'll have to get a new crush sleeve and set up the pinion brearings, you can do it yourself if you have an inch pound torque wrench but my advice would be to get the sleeve and seal and have a shop do it .

The seal is a piece of cake it will pop right in, the bearing set up is your problem.

Be sure to get a TSM and follow the set up process, it's very important to get the preload correct.

This is very important but also make sure your yoke is not wore. Check for wear like a groove or even small pits where the seal rides. When I built my 9 inch rear I went thru 3 seals and in the end the problem turned out to be the old yoke. It realy didn't look that bad but after measuring for wear, i found it needed to be replaced. I'm not saying that is your problem but just something else to check while it's apart that may save you some headache.

Edited by SlimeGold 69

This is very important but also make sure your yoke is not wore. Check for wear like a groove or even small pits where the seal rides. When I built my 9 inch rear I went thru 3 seals and in the end the problem turned out to be the old yoke. It realy didn't look that bad but after measuring for wear, i found it needed to be replaced. I'm not saying that is your problem but just something else to check while it's apart that may save you some headache.

I also had the same problem with a groove in the yoke. Tried the new seal and a speedi ring but didn't get the load set properly and had a howling rearend under load