Sign in to follow this  
foothilltom

Surface rust inside fender wells

Howdy gents, after completely treating my GT coupe to a dose of POR-15 on the undercarriage, I had quite a bit leftover in the can and started in on my boy's car. Upon sticking my head in his car's trunk and looking all the way down the quarters, I saw a pretty good amount of surface rust on all 3 sides. We obviously missed this when we were rust-treating his car a couple of years ago.

It's so far in there and at such an awkward angle, I couldn't get a paint brush in there. I considered using my detail HVLP gun, but didn't want to risk ruining it with POR-15.

I'm concerned that this rust will eventually eat its way to the top and through our paint job.

Am wondering if anybody has any suggestions for or direct experience with treating rust this far *inside* the shell. If you've spent any time in the position necessary to look all the way down the quarters, you know it's super awkward and I'm a bit too big to lay in the trunk (though the boy isn't...hmmm...). There's also sharp sheet metal lurking everywhere!

Have folks had rust inside the body and what have they done? The car is "finished" so I'm not interested in removing the shell, but short of that, I'm open to all ideas.

Thanks a lot!

Tom

Eastwood now sells their Rust Encapsulator (their answer to POR-15) in 16 oz aerosol cans. Or you could get a can of spray-on rubberized undercoating at the local auto parts store. Probably any good primer would work, as long as you're otherwise keeping the area dry and salt-free, I would think (not being any kind of expert)