Sign in to follow this  
kllerbee

window change from 69 to 70?

Hey all I am looking at power windows, locks, maybe deck lid but im running into something I have not seen before. The kits say that if you are putting it in a 69 you have to put in "70 bolted style glass" for the door windows. Since I dont have a 70, not sure what they mean? Possibly bolts actually holding window in mechanism? I didnt realize windows had changed between 69 and 70. Did the glass change or just the mechanism? Could some one enlighten me? :helpsmilie:thanks........B. Nevermind, found it. Bolt on. I cant believe they were glued in 69. No wonder they changed them.

Edited by kllerbee
found info needed

In 69's the glass is glued into it's retaining bracket. It fails on almost every 69 and is a pain to fix correctly. In the 70 model Ford realized that making the glass bolt to the retaining bracket was a better idea. Apparently you can't modify your existing brackets to be bolt in pieces but they now reproduce the 70 brackets and door glass

Probably ebay is your best source for original used brackets for the windows. The glass itself (original used) is tough to find in good condition. I paid $278. for the brackets and regulators two years ago, then another 179. for the tinted side glass (new). Its all still sitting on my shelf. Other things took priority but i'm like you and want to install the pwr windows. Its third on the major stuff list. Good luck.

The real problem here in my opinion is that even if you go thru the expense of changing to 70 windows just to go thru the additonal expense of a mustang specific designed system it will still only do the front windows of the car unless there have been changes that I have missed to the kit. The rear is the hardest to do as a lone person in the car, not an issue with fastback owners I guess but for a convertible owner it's practically a daily must.

I did quite alot of research on this 3 or so years ago, I found one thread if it will help you. I haven't gotten to this stage sadly with all the delays in my resto but I still plan to go with a 4 way universal setup with my exisiting windows.

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1084

• Thanks all for the info, there are a lot of of different solutions to ponder. But I think I will end up going with bolted. Just better than glue. Kind of sucks because I have the 69 type, but it is what it is. Not sure what I will go with for power windows, so many options. Probably with what I can afford at the time.

I have seen those thanks bee but I've still decided against it for my app just because I would like to be able to do all four windows from the drivers side at once, it just makes more sense on a vert even though I love the idea alot.

Just one other thing to consider before you go thru all that expense, bolt in IS NOT better than glue, it was simply better than the glue that was available at that time, not by todays standards though. Today's urethanes like they use on windshield replacements are more than strong enough to make it a one time fix and forget. If you want to spend the moeny to do the change just so you can buy the 1970 specific window kit than that is one thing but don't do it just because of the glue vs. bolt reason. It was once the answer but even the top restorers in the country now fix the situation rather than replace it. Keep in mind also that if you switch the front glass to 70 it is a different size so you will also have to change the rear glass and even in 70 the rear is still glue in. Here's some info on that if you want to read up more. Not trying to talk you out of it, just want to make sure you decision is informed since it's not pocket change we are talking about, to me anyway.

I just realized that I referenced further info on the glue in my last post but didn't paste the link: http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=1318

This was the last topic on it and is 2 years old now, there are others you can find by searching for "Titan" or "glue + glass" but this one has a scan of the actual article I added.

BTW, there may even be newer/better/more affordable universal kits than colibri now, I don't know as my research was from some time ago. I figured I would research it again when the time finally comes. If you do go with this kit though be sure to let us know how you make out, I've heard very positive things about it from others on hotrods or even older 80's beaters but not on the Mustang yet.