Sign in to follow this  
Handegard

My choke tube broke...

Our choke tube rusted off at the end, so now I'm looking for another and the only ones I keep finding are for inline 6s.

I found one for 64-73 260-302 V8s, but I was hoping someone could point me to a more specific direction.

That, or can I just pop the little choke thermostat out, and pop in a electric one?

Is there some advantage to the current setup (metal tube from manifold to choke, has heater hose routed next to choke...) over a electric setup?

Those choke tubes usually rust off. Your car should run fine without it, the only advantage it gives is it channels extra hot air across the choke to get it to open a little faster. Same reason they route the heater hose over the choke. Without it your choke will theoretically open a little slower.

If you want to replace it, the generic tube you found would probably be ok, expecially if you have a tube bender available to tweak it. I run an electric choke on my Holley and it works ok. The only drawback to electric is it's more like timer instead of a thermostat. It slowly opens the choke whenever the ignition is on regardless of engine temp. I gotta believe you could get one for your Edelbrock 4bbl, but I don't know if they make them for the stock Autolites.

Those choke tubes usually rust off. Your car should run fine without it, the only advantage it gives is it channels extra hot air across the choke to get it to open a little faster. Same reason they route the heater hose over the choke. Without it your choke will theoretically open a little slower.

If you want to replace it, the generic tube you found would probably be ok, expecially if you have a tube bender available to tweak it. I run an electric choke on my Holley and it works ok. The only drawback to electric is it's more like timer instead of a thermostat. It slowly opens the choke whenever the ignition is on regardless of engine temp. I gotta believe you could get one for your Edelbrock 4bbl, but I don't know if they make them for the stock Autolites.

The carb shop that was trying to help me with my atrocious gas mileage noticed the choke tube. He thinks it may be playing a part.

I have a tubing bender, and I'm pretty good with it, but this car we're trying to use OE or replica stuff on any chance we get. The only thing un-original on the '70 is the rust ;)

Exactly what I needed. Those look like the same parts I found, but with a better description that makes me feel more comfortable ordering...

Ordered from Mustangs Unlimited, got a confirmation, waited a few days, called them. They had canceled our order becuase of some error. So the parts won't be here for a few days, but I'll have a 100% working choke come this weekend it sounds like ;)