Sign in to follow this  
hawkdriver

Help with 3rd brake light

Looking at fabricating my own package tray. My problem is finding a LED 3rd brake light. Anyone know where I can find on, im not looking at spending a 100 dollars either. And if anyone has ever done this before some tips on wiring would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you wire your own, you need to add a "and-ing" logic circuit so it only lights with the brakes and doesn't blink with the turn signals. Other than that, you just splice into both brake light wires in the trunk. I found some cheap at JC Whitney:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/Third-Brake-Light/600003037.jcw?in_dim_search=1

Or you can just run a single wire directly from the brake light switch to the 3rd brake light. Cheap and simple except pulling the wire from front to back (it can go under the door scuff plates).

can you help me with the location of the switch? perhaps a picture

thanks

The Switch is located on the Brake Pedal where the Push Rod from the master Cylinder connects to it. Here are some pics. Kind of hard to get the camera under there, but I hope they help.

JK

Or you can just run a single wire directly from the brake light switch to the 3rd brake light. Cheap and simple except pulling the wire from front to back (it can go under the door scuff plates).

That's a great, simple idea! I would have never thought of that.