Sign in to follow this  
B-Man

Where to begin?

I'm ready to being. As you can see by the avtar I have a long road ahead. I want to start at the front so I will ask those of you who have gone thru this. The front frame rails are good except the forward 2ft where the bolt holes on both sides have rusted out. I was given a shock mount reinforcement kit with the car since there is some rust in this area. The question is is it better to repair piecemeal or cut out the entire front section and start from scratch? I also need to replace the torque boxes on both sides and honestly have no clue how or where they are tied in. Ant advice helps and I search thru the pics constantly for ides.

Your avatar pic brings back the memories !! I have just gone through all of what your about to do....Enjoy !!!...Take a look at my thread ( http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=5544 ) the first 3 or 4 pages have some info that may help you. The torque boxes are a bit of a pain in the ass to cut out. Just be patient. If you want more pics, let me know. I have hundreds of pics. Which is also a good idea. Take pics....LOTS of pics, as you take the car apart. I can not tell you how many times I have pulled my laptop into the shop to see how things go back together. I wish I would have taken more of the motor...Im going nuts trying to figure that out right now....

The biggest thing I found is don't get too many jobs going at the same time...Its hard to do, but if ya just do a bit at a time, before ya know it you will see progress....

Good Luck !!! And ask lots of questions here...There are some very smart people on this forum. !!

New frame rails and torque boxes sounds like a good place to start.Just take it one step at a time,I Know what you mean by long road,and the slow road too.I didnt have to replace mine but maybe i can help you with something down the road.

Thanks for the replys. The motor I have no fear of...I can handle that part and can even help. I'm worried about cutting the front of the car off and not getting the new one on right. Well, time to start something....

What I did was one side at a time. I never cut anything off before I had the new part and I always measured everything twice. Anything structural I was very diligent to measure and take pics of. Also, get a shop manual. You can get it on CD on EBAY cheap. It comes in VERY helpful !!