Sign in to follow this  
Fastbackmustang

What should I do now?

Hey guys I'm getting a old fastback that needs to be restored. Whats a good site to purchase stuff for under the hood so I can get it on its feet again?

How much would it cost?

also is it possible to get a 4th gen mustang 90's early 2000 v6 engine in a 1970 fastback?

Hey guys I'm getting a old fastback that needs to be restored. Whats a good site to purchase stuff for under the hood so I can get it on its feet again?

How much would it cost?

also is it possible to get a 4th gen mustang 90's early 2000 v6 engine in a 1970 fastback?

cjponyparts.com is great fro almost everything. i cant see why you cant fir on under there, but with the technology of todays efi, the 4.6 gets almost as much fuel mileage as a the older 3.8 and 4.0's. Is this going to be a daily driver?

cjponyparts.com is great fro almost everything. i cant see why you cant fir on under there, but with the technology of todays efi, the 4.6 gets almost as much fuel mileage as a the older 3.8 and 4.0's. Is this going to be a daily driver?

What it will cost depends on the condition it's in and what you consider fixed up. my Mach 1 was rust free but just about everything needed replaced or restored, doing all the work myself except the final blocking and paint I'm still going to have about 20k in the restoration, but this is for a show quality car a driver would be less.

I've found if you want to save money you have to shop aroud, there is no one place with the best prices. it took me 4 months and LOTS of phone calls to get a big order I made from CJ's, they said it got lost in shipping but the attitude was it was my problem not theirs. all the other vendors I've used have been good, but you have to watch prices.

You could put a V6 in but I can't imagine why you'd want to, it would be easier to get conversion parts and far better to go with a V8.

What it will cost depends on the condition it's in and what you consider fixed up. my Mach 1 was rust free but just about everything needed replaced or restored, doing all the work myself except the final blocking and paint I'm still going to have about 20k in the restoration, but this is for a show quality car a driver would be less.

I've found if you want to save money you have to shop aroud, there is no one place with the best prices. it took me 4 months and LOTS of phone calls to get a big order I made from CJ's, they said it got lost in shipping but the attitude was it was my problem not theirs. all the other vendors I've used have been good, but you have to watch prices.

You could put a V6 in but I can't imagine why you'd want to, it would be easier to get conversion parts and far better to go with a V8.

I got most of my car parts (interior, bolt kits, trim, etc) from mustangsunlimited.com. Didn't have any sheet metal work so can't speak for that. Engine, drivetrain, tires and wheels form Jegs, Summit Racing, and Magna Flow exhaust from our local Schucks. Very quick shipping and only had a few items that were back ordered from Mustangs Unlimited. Seems like decent quality, but I don't have any others to compare to. Others on here will definately know.

Easy estimate way for me was to determine all parts needed. I put all items in a cart for each place to get totals and then printed it out. That way down the road I had all the part numbers and could see how it worked with my budget (or how I blew it)

I got most of my car parts (interior, bolt kits, trim, etc) from mustangsunlimited.com. Didn't have any sheet metal work so can't speak for that. Engine, drivetrain, tires and wheels form Jegs, Summit Racing, and Magna Flow exhaust from our local Schucks. Very quick shipping and only had a few items that were back ordered from Mustangs Unlimited. Seems like decent quality, but I don't have any others to compare to. Others on here will definately know.

Easy estimate way for me was to determine all parts needed. I put all items in a cart for each place to get totals and then printed it out. That way down the road I had all the part numbers and could see how it worked with my budget (or how I blew it)

ive bought from mustangs plus, mustangs etc., sacramento mustang, california mustang, and national parts depot. s code is right. there's no one place with the best prices. but what i have learned is that the bigger the company, the better the service. not always true, but when i compare the venders ive purchased from, mustangs plus comes out on top. returns are hassle free and ive never had a problem with shipping. i only recently began purchasing from NPD because my girlfriend lives 10 minutes away so its conveniant to just pick up the parts myself. BUT....out of the 4 times ive been there, 3 of the times was for an exchange. the first time they gave me the wrong year spoiler, second the wrong rear sway bar, and the 3rd was for a return. as for the spoiler and sway bar, it was kinda my fault for not checking then and there, i assumed i was getting the correct part. but had i made the purchase overthe phone, returning them wouldve been hell. so shop around and ask for some advice. in my experience, mustangs plus is the safe way to go. imo

ive bought from mustangs plus, mustangs etc., sacramento mustang, california mustang, and national parts depot. s code is right. there's no one place with the best prices. but what i have learned is that the bigger the company, the better the service. not always true, but when i compare the venders ive purchased from, mustangs plus comes out on top. returns are hassle free and ive never had a problem with shipping. i only recently began purchasing from NPD because my girlfriend lives 10 minutes away so its conveniant to just pick up the parts myself. BUT....out of the 4 times ive been there, 3 of the times was for an exchange. the first time they gave me the wrong year spoiler, second the wrong rear sway bar, and the 3rd was for a return. as for the spoiler and sway bar, it was kinda my fault for not checking then and there, i assumed i was getting the correct part. but had i made the purchase overthe phone, returning them wouldve been hell. so shop around and ask for some advice. in my experience, mustangs plus is the safe way to go. imo

Well guys what I mean is can I replace my v8 mustang internal parts onto this blank 1970 fastback ? in other words a swap of everything. That way I can easily get it fix if something goes wrong because it will be up to date and less time in the shops every month or so. I just want a decent 1970 fastback as a daily drive.

why would this cost alot by the way? I got a cheap old gutted fastback for under 2k all internal will cost me 2k and the rest would be just replacing everything from a newer mustang (4th gen) onto the 1970 fastback which should be 5-10 k right?

what makes this such a hard issue? I notice a few people say its possible but it will cost alot??? why?

I mean heck I even wonder if I should just remove all the exterior paneling of a v8 mustang and replace it with a old 1970 fastback exterior paneling. that way the out look is the old look and inside is new. (is this possible also?)

thnx:euro:

Well guys what I mean is can I replace my v8 mustang internal parts onto this blank 1970 fastback ? in other words a swap of everything. That way I can easily get it fix if something goes wrong because it will be up to date and less time in the shops every month or so. I just want a decent 1970 fastback as a daily drive.

why would this cost alot by the way? I got a cheap old gutted fastback for under 2k all internal will cost me 2k and the rest would be just replacing everything from a newer mustang (4th gen) onto the 1970 fastback which should be 5-10 k right?

what makes this such a hard issue? I notice a few people say its possible but it will cost alot??? why?

I mean heck I even wonder if I should just remove all the exterior paneling of a v8 mustang and replace it with a old 1970 fastback exterior paneling. that way the out look is the old look and inside is new. (is this possible also?)

thnx:euro:

The issue you will run into is retrofitting all the parts from new car to your mustang. Do some searches people have definitely done it but everything I've read is dropping in non modular 302/351 is a heck of a lot easier and these motors and parts are readily availabe. Plus that's what most people do and a lot more advice would be available on sites such as this one if you go that route.

The issue you will run into is retrofitting all the parts from new car to your mustang. Do some searches people have definitely done it but everything I've read is dropping in non modular 302/351 is a heck of a lot easier and these motors and parts are readily availabe. Plus that's what most people do and a lot more advice would be available on sites such as this one if you go that route.

:scared: OK, now that idea is nearly impossible and certainly expensive and IMO not worthwhile.

I think what people are saying , maybe ?, is a V8 restomod is more popular than a V6. You will find a lot more people who have done it that can help you out (although not all of them here). I have a Ford V8 in an Rx7, so it can be done in a 69 with a LOT less fabrication. But, you better be good with trouble shooting, wiring, etc. You're best to have a complete driving donor car so you can take the fuse box, ECM, engine harness, etc. Mark EVERYTHING when you take it out, take pictures or a video and if you are AT ALL unsure, get a dedicated friend with the skills or you will have a half finished headache that no one else wants for sale in about 2 years. :whistling: Just keeping it real. ;)

:scared: OK, now that idea is nearly impossible and certainly expensive and IMO not worthwhile.

I think what people are saying , maybe ?, is a V8 restomod is more popular than a V6. You will find a lot more people who have done it that can help you out (although not all of them here). I have a Ford V8 in an Rx7, so it can be done in a 69 with a LOT less fabrication. But, you better be good with trouble shooting, wiring, etc. You're best to have a complete driving donor car so you can take the fuse box, ECM, engine harness, etc. Mark EVERYTHING when you take it out, take pictures or a video and if you are AT ALL unsure, get a dedicated friend with the skills or you will have a half finished headache that no one else wants for sale in about 2 years. :whistling: Just keeping it real. ;)

My point is I have a v8 mustang that I don't use. Why can't I just strip it and slap it on my 1970 fastback? I was told and even seen that older type parts for these old cars usually needs to be checked up once or twice a week to make sure everything is running properly and however something can still end up messing up. Why not just give it all brand new parts?

My point is I have a v8 mustang that I don't use. Why can't I just strip it and slap it on my 1970 fastback? I was told and even seen that older type parts for these old cars usually needs to be checked up once or twice a week to make sure everything is running properly and however something can still end up messing up. Why not just give it all brand new parts?

ok maybe my second thought was a little out there, but thats what I'm trying to do... but not like that lol just a expression (70 fastback look with 00 gt internal)

Rx7 with a v8, that sounds wild! you got a youtube video of it?

I'm having a mechanic help me doing the swap for me. He tells me it be a odd project but it doesn't hurt to try. He also said if there is any issues he would gladly to take a look. If the swap works will I have a normal daily driving car? also I notice you said that there is sites that are dedicated to this.. Do you have those sites? that can help me how to get started?

ok maybe my second thought was a little out there, but thats what I'm trying to do... but not like that lol just a expression (70 fastback look with 00 gt internal)

Rx7 with a v8, that sounds wild! you got a youtube video of it?

I'm having a mechanic help me doing the swap for me. He tells me it be a odd project but it doesn't hurt to try. He also said if there is any issues he would gladly to take a look. If the swap works will I have a normal daily driving car? also I notice you said that there is sites that are dedicated to this.. Do you have those sites? that can help me how to get started?

National Parts Depot in Canton, MI has been spot on for me. I have started upgrading parts on my '69 Mach I and they have gone out of their way to help me keep my costs down and have put me in touch with local shop owners specializing in body work, paint and resto. Comparing prices with a few other national vendors seems to favor NPD as well.

National Parts Depot in Canton, MI has been spot on for me. I have started upgrading parts on my '69 Mach I and they have gone out of their way to help me keep my costs down and have put me in touch with local shop owners specializing in body work, paint and resto. Comparing prices with a few other national vendors seems to favor NPD as well.

You keep talking about this V8 Mustang you don't ue.

To make matters simpler. What year is it, and what engine does it have. Up until '94-'95 or so, the '302 came in Mustangs. Thats the same motor that came in my '69, so you can certainly swap it in, and you can even keep the fuel injection if savy to that kind of thing

Now, I'm not trying to be insulting or condescending here, but the questions you ask reveal alot about how much you know. I'm not saying your stupid, what I'm saying is you're new to the classic mustang scene, and have come to the right place for help. With that said, you really ought to consider taking that advice that we give when you ask.

I can put any engine that physically fits in my engine bay in my car. Any. If you want to invest the work and have the skills and tools, it's possible. But most people can't do that.

Lets say you have a 4.6 or a 3.8 from a newer Mustang. It would still cost less to buy a 302 to put in the car than to put the motor you already have in, because of all the ancillary costs with the newer motors. You'll need custom exhaust, motor mounts, driveshaft, fuel pumps, etc.

To put a 302 in, you drop the damn thing in. Maybe you have to replace motor mounts, etc, depends on what your car came with, but it's far, far easier.

Frankyl I'm of the opinion that if someone has to ask if a swap like this is possible, they don't have the skills to do it. Again, not trying to insult you, but I don't want you to get started on a huge task that won't get finished, and will leave you dis-illusioned and the car abandonded. I know, I've been there long ago before I became a auto tech. My favorite car at the time sat for years because I didn't listen to people who know alot about that car who told me it wasn't as easy as I thought...

To make matters simpler. What year is it, and what engine does it have. Up until '94-'95 or so, the '302 came in Mustangs. Thats the same motor that came in my '69, so you can certainly swap it in, and you can even keep the fuel injection if savy to that kind of thing

Now, I'm not trying to be insulting or condescending here, but the questions you ask reveal alot about how much you know. I'm not saying your stupid, what I'm saying is you're new to the classic mustang scene, and have come to the right place for help. With that said, you really ought to consider taking that advice that we give when you ask.

I can put any engine that physically fits in my engine bay in my car. Any. If you want to invest the work and have the skills and tools, it's possible. But most people can't do that.

Lets say you have a 4.6 or a 3.8 from a newer Mustang. It would still cost less to buy a 302 to put in the car than to put the motor you already have in, because of all the ancillary costs with the newer motors. You'll need custom exhaust, motor mounts, driveshaft, fuel pumps, etc.

To put a 302 in, you drop the damn thing in. Maybe you have to replace motor mounts, etc, depends on what your car came with, but it's far, far easier.

Frankyl I'm of the opinion that if someone has to ask if a swap like this is possible, they don't have the skills to do it. Again, not trying to insult you, but I don't want you to get started on a huge task that won't get finished, and will leave you dis-illusioned and the car abandonded. I know, I've been there long ago before I became a auto tech. My favorite car at the time sat for years because I didn't listen to people who know alot about that car who told me it wasn't as easy as I thought...

A 99 Mustang GT 4.6 L V8 is what I have.

I just want to get threw this project because I was told with these older type cars, they need to frequently be work on because something usually goes wrong within that very month. My thought is why not just replace newer equipment with older body. Have everything mounted on right where everything is in tact. However I was wondering is the engine bay big enough to fit everything a 99 gt has.

You say its cheaper to get a 302 and put it in...however wouldn't it need to be strongly maintain every day to make sure it runs well...also on top of that i was told that usually it mis fire when cranking up and needs maintaineance.