Sign in to follow this  
Angel

my car gets sideways...

yea when ever i hit the brakes hard, my front end goes to the left and my rear end goes to the right. i have granada spindles up front with drums in the back(9"). one time about 2 years ago i had to slam the brakes hard to avoid rear ending the car in front of me. the stang ended up perpendicular to the center divider:scared:. i was only going about 20-30mph. under hard braking, the cars' front will ususally go to the left. so i got the car aligned. didnt help. so i though maybe a caliper was hanging up. so i replaced the rotors, bearings, pads and calipers. no help. so i replaced my rear wheel cylinders, shoes, and springs. still nothing.

last week,while going 70 on the highway, i was forced to come to a complete stop. the car again got sideways a little. thankfully i stopped about 5ft away from the guy in front of me. i recently installed a rear sway bar and a larger front one. i think this helped. the only brake thing i havent replaced are the drums. new master cylinder, all new bushings with all new steering and suspension components except for pitman arm, center link, and coil springs. i cut the coils to lower the front about 3". rear lowered 1" via mid-eye leafs.

do you guys think that the parts i havent replaced could cause this? the drums look nice and smooth on the inside and the shoes are adjusted properly...that i know of at least. the only thing i could think of is the brakes are not being applied properly. i have no air in the system but i am using a manual drum/drum master. could this be my problem? maybe disc/drum? under normal driving, the cars stops fine. in either case i do want to ungrade to rear disc but i wanted to know what you guys thought might be the problem. thanks guys

yea when ever i hit the brakes hard, my front end goes to the left and my rear end goes to the right. i have granada spindles up front with drums in the back(9"). one time about 2 years ago i had to slam the brakes hard to avoid rear ending the car in front of me. the stang ended up perpendicular to the center divider:scared:. i was only going about 20-30mph. under hard braking, the cars' front will ususally go to the left. so i got the car aligned. didnt help. so i though maybe a caliper was hanging up. so i replaced the rotors, bearings, pads and calipers. no help. so i replaced my rear wheel cylinders, shoes, and springs. still nothing.

last week,while going 70 on the highway, i was forced to come to a complete stop. the car again got sideways a little. thankfully i stopped about 5ft away from the guy in front of me. i recently installed a rear sway bar and a larger front one. i think this helped. the only brake thing i havent replaced are the drums. new master cylinder, all new bushings with all new steering and suspension components except for pitman arm, center link, and coil springs. i cut the coils to lower the front about 3". rear lowered 1" via mid-eye leafs.

do you guys think that the parts i havent replaced could cause this? the drums look nice and smooth on the inside and the shoes are adjusted properly...that i know of at least. the only thing i could think of is the brakes are not being applied properly. i have no air in the system but i am using a manual drum/drum master. could this be my problem? maybe disc/drum? under normal driving, the cars stops fine. in either case i do want to ungrade to rear disc but i wanted to know what you guys thought might be the problem. thanks guys

for about $40 you can get a gauge that screws into the bleeders and reads the PSI you are getting at every corner. Probably the best place for you to start. You can also plug the rear brakes port on the MC and see if the car still pulls. Air in the line due to reversed calipers can pull, as can a bad hose to the caliper. You mentioned recent alignemnt and bushings so we'll assume there is nothing going on with the suspension under braking loads.

for about $40 you can get a gauge that screws into the bleeders and reads the PSI you are getting at every corner. Probably the best place for you to start. You can also plug the rear brakes port on the MC and see if the car still pulls. Air in the line due to reversed calipers can pull, as can a bad hose to the caliper. You mentioned recent alignemnt and bushings so we'll assume there is nothing going on with the suspension under braking loads.

I would suspect air in the right front line/caliper. I would bleed that first and see what happens. Make sure the slides aren't hung up too. If the fluid looks milky or brown or rusty drain it all and replace it and re-bleed all lines.

I would suspect air in the right front line/caliper. I would bleed that first and see what happens. Make sure the slides aren't hung up too. If the fluid looks milky or brown or rusty drain it all and replace it and re-bleed all lines.