Sign in to follow this  
kweston

I didn't do it, but I have to fix it!

hey guys! ive been a lurker here for a while now, but i recently purchased a 69 fastback with a 351w. long story short, the previous owner straightened the body and painted it. Began ripping out the engine bay, then decided to sell it....

Thats where I come in, I've been trying to fit all these parts back together the past 4 weekends now, and its just turning frustrating - (mainly because i havent heard it run yet! :wink: )

So my question is... does anyone know of a decent book, magazine, or even just some pictures would be great?! The shop book I bought from autozone just isn't doing the trick.

This model has the alternator, water pump, and power-steering pump. no a/c. I guess the easiest thing to do would be what...? Buy a bolt kit and start from scratch? or try to reuse/salvage the bolts he threw in a dixie cup?

Thanks guys! this site has been a huge help already!

hey guys! ive been a lurker here for a while now, but i recently purchased a 69 fastback with a 351w. long story short, the previous owner straightened the body and painted it. Began ripping out the engine bay, then decided to sell it....

Thats where I come in, I've been trying to fit all these parts back together the past 4 weekends now, and its just turning frustrating - (mainly because i havent heard it run yet! :wink: )

So my question is... does anyone know of a decent book, magazine, or even just some pictures would be great?! The shop book I bought from autozone just isn't doing the trick.

This model has the alternator, water pump, and power-steering pump. no a/c. I guess the easiest thing to do would be what...? Buy a bolt kit and start from scratch? or try to reuse/salvage the bolts he threw in a dixie cup?

Thanks guys! this site has been a huge help already!

You can buy full shop manuals in either cd or paper books for less than $100. Great investment - look on ebay. Another good book is by Tom Monroe on rebuilding for small blocks. Basically all I use are these 2 sources - the Haynes and other does not have enough info in them.

You can buy full shop manuals in either cd or paper books for less than $100. Great investment - look on ebay. Another good book is by Tom Monroe on rebuilding for small blocks. Basically all I use are these 2 sources - the Haynes and other does not have enough info in them.

Agreed, the 5 set shop manual and I'll also add the factory assembly manuals are worth their weight in gold. No Chiltons/Haynes auto store manual can come close to touching them.

Also, a master bolt kit is cheap money for any build and especially so if you have cups full of unlabeled old and crusty hardware to try and sort thru and you weren't even the one who removed it to begin with.

Good luck and welcome!

Agreed, the 5 set shop manual and I'll also add the factory assembly manuals are worth their weight in gold. No Chiltons/Haynes auto store manual can come close to touching them.

Also, a master bolt kit is cheap money for any build and especially so if you have cups full of unlabeled old and crusty hardware to try and sort thru and you weren't even the one who removed it to begin with.

Good luck and welcome!

If you're interested, try to locate a mustang club in your area. Most of the time the members are very happy to let you look at one of their cars or even help you sort through the pile of bolts and assist you with reassembly. A new bolt kit would be very nice though.

If you're interested, try to locate a mustang club in your area. Most of the time the members are very happy to let you look at one of their cars or even help you sort through the pile of bolts and assist you with reassembly. A new bolt kit would be very nice though.

ahh Haynes...thats the one i have. (you're right, is no help)

I'll have to look into the shop manuals, I've just done some skimming and found cds. I'm sure paperback is out there somewhere!

Same goes for the club, I'm in georgia so I'm sure there's one around here with mustangs unlimited being right around the corner!

ahh Haynes...thats the one i have. (you're right, is no help)

I'll have to look into the shop manuals, I've just done some skimming and found cds. I'm sure paperback is out there somewhere!

Same goes for the club, I'm in georgia so I'm sure there's one around here with mustangs unlimited being right around the corner!

I saw your pictures and noticed that your mustang has had the shock towers rust out at one time. The cracks were welded. If you have not had the structural integrity of the towers checked out, now would be a good time. You could pull the engine back out quite easily if you need to. Welcome to the site!

JAG

I saw your pictures and noticed that your mustang has had the shock towers rust out at one time. The cracks were welded. If you have not had the structural integrity of the towers checked out, now would be a good time. You could pull the engine back out quite easily if you need to. Welcome to the site!

JAG