Sign in to follow this  
coz

Trunk and water...

I know our cars are not very water tight and rust easy so I'm careful when washing and such. However, after washing the other day I opened the trunk and while expecting some water to run out around the trunk gasket (which is new and complete) I was surprised to see a fair amount (20oz) of water come out of each of trunk arms. It appears the water is getting past the trunk gasket and running into the hole the trunk lid arms pivot on. In a closed position it's a straight shot right into the holes and obviously when you open the trunk the holes go up and begin pouring out the water. What was really scary was the water had a rusty brown color - as in this has been occurring for some time.

Any suggestions? The gasket looks good without cracks. Maybe the trunk is not contacting the gasket?

I know our cars are not very water tight and rust easy so I'm careful when washing and such. However, after washing the other day I opened the trunk and while expecting some water to run out around the trunk gasket (which is new and complete) I was surprised to see a fair amount (20oz) of water come out of each of trunk arms. It appears the water is getting past the trunk gasket and running into the hole the trunk lid arms pivot on. In a closed position it's a straight shot right into the holes and obviously when you open the trunk the holes go up and begin pouring out the water. What was really scary was the water had a rusty brown color - as in this has been occurring for some time.

Any suggestions? The gasket looks good without cracks. Maybe the trunk is not contacting the gasket?

Have you replaced the rear window gasket lately? When i had my car painted, they also removed the window to replace the headliner and used a new window gasket. It leaked like crazy into the trunk and package tray. If you think it is the trunk gasket, was it installed with the two ends meeting near the trunk lock or the other way around? If the two ends meet at the top nearest the rear window, then often water gets between the gap especially under water hose pressure. Finally,to see if you have a good trunk seal, you might try putting a coat of white grease (or whatever you have) on the trunk seal, close the lid and then reopen it to see if there are gaps where the seal meets the metal of the trunk opening.

Have you replaced the rear window gasket lately? When i had my car painted, they also removed the window to replace the headliner and used a new window gasket. It leaked like crazy into the trunk and package tray. If you think it is the trunk gasket, was it installed with the two ends meeting near the trunk lock or the other way around? If the two ends meet at the top nearest the rear window, then often water gets between the gap especially under water hose pressure. Finally,to see if you have a good trunk seal, you might try putting a coat of white grease (or whatever you have) on the trunk seal, close the lid and then reopen it to see if there are gaps where the seal meets the metal of the trunk opening.