Sign in to follow this  
PaleRider

Should I Stiffen My Shock Towers?

In process of painting my engine bay of 70 Sportsroof - plan on putting a new stroker motor in this summer (400/400). Mostly street car - no racing. Should I stiffen my shock towers while I'm at it? And any suggestions? Thanks.

In process of painting my engine bay of 70 Sportsroof - plan on putting a new stroker motor in this summer (400/400). Mostly street car - no racing. Should I stiffen my shock towers while I'm at it? And any suggestions? Thanks.

Where do they usually crack and where do you usually add steel to brace them? Any pics?

Interested in this as I just did the shelby drop and was worried about the extra strain on the shock towers (the upper arm bolts are now half on/off the thicker shock tower plating now)

Where do they usually crack and where do you usually add steel to brace them? Any pics?

Interested in this as I just did the shelby drop and was worried about the extra strain on the shock towers (the upper arm bolts are now half on/off the thicker shock tower plating now)

agreed .. my shock towers already had some stress cracks from the stock 351W.... i knew one day i wanted to put a higher hp motor .. so i supported for whatever i may do.

1BAD351 - as for installing it with the engine installed.... i remember the welds around the driver side shock tower under the proportioning valve at the shock tower being tight.

That's the same kit I got and installed I can now put whatever powerplant I want in my car with no worries about the shocktowers

agreed .. my shock towers already had some stress cracks from the stock 351W.... i knew one day i wanted to put a higher hp motor .. so i supported for whatever i may do.

1BAD351 - as for installing it with the engine installed.... i remember the welds around the driver side shock tower under the proportioning valve at the shock tower being tight.

That's the same kit I got and installed I can now put whatever powerplant I want in my car with no worries about the shocktowers

I would totally do it jayru.I have seen stock 302's with cracked towers that looked like roadmaps after they were welded up.It's only about 200.00 and you will never have to worry about them again.It's even more beefy than the Boss cars.As far as doing it with the engine in I would say no way.I welded mine up and ground the welds for a nice smooth look.It looks like a factory job.

I would totally do it jayru.I have seen stock 302's with cracked towers that looked like roadmaps after they were welded up.It's only about 200.00 and you will never have to worry about them again.It's even more beefy than the Boss cars.As far as doing it with the engine in I would say no way.I welded mine up and ground the welds for a nice smooth look.It looks like a factory job.

Hard to get to or impossible to get to? Can you get to it by removing the headers or lifting the engine up a little bit?

Hard to get to or impossible to get to? Can you get to it by removing the headers or lifting the engine up a little bit?