Sign in to follow this  
Boogerschnot

Carb Problems? I think..

So Monday afternoon, I drove the 10 miles home from work with no problem.. Got to the child care place to pick up my son and then once I got in the car it started running funny:

Idle was fine, it started fine. But once in gear if it would stumble and bog if I hit the accelerator. I could rev it in neutral or park with just a little roughness but once on the road it just fell on its face.

I pulled into the garage and killed it, opend the hood, checked my wires and pulled off the air cleaner. started it back up and everything was normal again. So I took it around the block and it was fine..

Yesterday, it drove just fine to and from work..

Got in this morning and it did the same thing as monday. It started and ran fine, but once in gear it ran a little rough and then had no power at all, as if it were running really cold. After driving a block it wouldnt do anything but idle without bogging.

At lunch I went home, changed the 2 fuel filters, stock and see through. The clear one had some yucky dirty gas in it and lots of rust like particles.

No change. It still runs the same as this morning. Im thinking that it may be my carb, clogged up but it does squirt gas when I hit the accelerator manually on both sides (2bbl)

I just installed pertronix ignitor I and a flamethrower coil a few weeks ago. Anyone have a suggestion on whats gong on. I dont know a whole lot about carbs, mostly just how to tune one. Im thinking the power valve isnt operating. Maybe ive got some crud clogging up something. Especially since it happend and then cleared itslef on Monday afternoon and then ran fine Tuesday.

So Monday afternoon, I drove the 10 miles home from work with no problem.. Got to the child care place to pick up my son and then once I got in the car it started running funny:

Idle was fine, it started fine. But once in gear if it would stumble and bog if I hit the accelerator. I could rev it in neutral or park with just a little roughness but once on the road it just fell on its face.

I pulled into the garage and killed it, opend the hood, checked my wires and pulled off the air cleaner. started it back up and everything was normal again. So I took it around the block and it was fine..

Yesterday, it drove just fine to and from work..

Got in this morning and it did the same thing as monday. It started and ran fine, but once in gear it ran a little rough and then had no power at all, as if it were running really cold. After driving a block it wouldnt do anything but idle without bogging.

At lunch I went home, changed the 2 fuel filters, stock and see through. The clear one had some yucky dirty gas in it and lots of rust like particles.

No change. It still runs the same as this morning. Im thinking that it may be my carb, clogged up but it does squirt gas when I hit the accelerator manually on both sides (2bbl)

I just installed pertronix ignitor I and a flamethrower coil a few weeks ago. Anyone have a suggestion on whats gong on. I dont know a whole lot about carbs, mostly just how to tune one. Im thinking the power valve isnt operating. Maybe ive got some crud clogging up something. Especially since it happend and then cleared itslef on Monday afternoon and then ran fine Tuesday.

Are you still using the old gas tank? I would of said check the filters first but you did that, the yucky stuff came from somewhere though so the tank is likely it. Or if that is is new but the lines are still old and you didn't blow them out you could have crud in there too. YOu can try bypassing it all and running a gas can and line directly to the fuel pump and see how it runs. Since you had the problem hot and cold we can eliminate vapor lock but it definitly sounds fuel related. Just for the heck of it try disconnecting the choke or even just the power to it, it could be going screwy and kicking in when it should or shouldn't. If all that fails to change anything then the carb will need a closer look.

Are you still using the old gas tank? I would of said check the filters first but you did that, the yucky stuff came from somewhere though so the tank is likely it. Or if that is is new but the lines are still old and you didn't blow them out you could have crud in there too. YOu can try bypassing it all and running a gas can and line directly to the fuel pump and see how it runs. Since you had the problem hot and cold we can eliminate vapor lock but it definitly sounds fuel related. Just for the heck of it try disconnecting the choke or even just the power to it, it could be going screwy and kicking in when it should or shouldn't. If all that fails to change anything then the carb will need a closer look.

choke is a manual choke, and not even connected, just adjusted so that it opens up when the motor is at temp. What is strange is that my screw in filter was really clean and when I blew through it it flowed fine. Maybe I will try that gas can with a line trick. Only problem is it runs fairly normal when its at idle so I would have to strap the can into the engine bay somewhere.. Maybe..

choke is a manual choke, and not even connected, just adjusted so that it opens up when the motor is at temp. What is strange is that my screw in filter was really clean and when I blew through it it flowed fine. Maybe I will try that gas can with a line trick. Only problem is it runs fairly normal when its at idle so I would have to strap the can into the engine bay somewhere.. Maybe..

The more I think about it the more It points to the lines or pump. I think my fuel bowl is filling up at idle but once the engine sucks all of it down my line or pump isnt letting enough fuel into the bowl to keep up the pace. the pump is pretty new though..

The more I think about it the more It points to the lines or pump. I think my fuel bowl is filling up at idle but once the engine sucks all of it down my line or pump isnt letting enough fuel into the bowl to keep up the pace. the pump is pretty new though..

Is the gas you are running now old? Gas goes bad real fast if it hasn't been stabalized and turns to varnish in no time. Adding new gas to old gas just makes more bad gas unfortunately and doesn't really dillute the issue if that is the cause.

If the gas is old I would drain it, dump in a bottle of STP carb cleaner (or simillar carb/fuel injector combination cleaner) and just one gallon of gas, start the car and let it run for a few minutes to get some concentrated cleaning then go fill up with at least a half to full tank of gas and run it thru until almost empty before you refill again.

Is the gas you are running now old? Gas goes bad real fast if it hasn't been stabalized and turns to varnish in no time. Adding new gas to old gas just makes more bad gas unfortunately and doesn't really dillute the issue if that is the cause.

If the gas is old I would drain it, dump in a bottle of STP carb cleaner (or simillar carb/fuel injector combination cleaner) and just one gallon of gas, start the car and let it run for a few minutes to get some concentrated cleaning then go fill up with at least a half to full tank of gas and run it thru until almost empty before you refill again.

Good Idea Pac, I wonder if that cleaner would cut through a clog.. Its worth a shot. Though I think I will end up changing the fuel lines anyway. I noticed that someone must have tried jacking up the car from the rocker panel at some point and used the fuel line as a jacking spot.. Idiots..

Good Idea Pac, I wonder if that cleaner would cut through a clog.. Its worth a shot. Though I think I will end up changing the fuel lines anyway. I noticed that someone must have tried jacking up the car from the rocker panel at some point and used the fuel line as a jacking spot.. Idiots..

Yeah that doesn't sound good at all. My neighbor has a 65' coupe, he put in a new tank and still had some issues with dirty filters, we disconnected his line and put my compressor to it, you wouldn't believe the crap that came out of the line still just hiding in the bends and kinks.

If you really want to make sure you cut through a clog, disconnect the hard line near the tank, get a can of Sea Foam Deep Creep and give a big ole long blast of it into the line then hook it right back up and start her up. Warning though, the car will smoke for a few minutes but that's a good thing, that means it's burning crud off. Everytime I change plugs on any of my cars I squirt this into each cylinder and soak the throttle body with it, works great.

Yeah that doesn't sound good at all. My neighbor has a 65' coupe, he put in a new tank and still had some issues with dirty filters, we disconnected his line and put my compressor to it, you wouldn't believe the crap that came out of the line still just hiding in the bends and kinks.

If you really want to make sure you cut through a clog, disconnect the hard line near the tank, get a can of Sea Foam Deep Creep and give a big ole long blast of it into the line then hook it right back up and start her up. Warning though, the car will smoke for a few minutes but that's a good thing, that means it's burning crud off. Everytime I change plugs on any of my cars I squirt this into each cylinder and soak the throttle body with it, works great.

Well Pac, I went ahead and picked up a bottle of gum out, poured it in to the tank with only about 4 gallons of gas in it. Let it sit a little while, then started it up and brought it up to temp with it stumbling all over the place. I ran it for about 15 minutes and took it around the block, still running like crap.

I noticed that the gasket between the top plate of the carb and the bowl was a little wet, and had a little gas on it.. So I killed the car and let her sit.

While it was running I watched my fuel filter to be sure it was staying full of gas, and it was so I knew it wasnt a blockage in the line, had to be the carb. After sitting for about 20 minutes I cranked it up again, and it ran rough for about 40 seconds and then I revved it and vroooomm... My baby was back.. I could feel and hear the difference in the car once the blockage was gone, and it runs like a bat out of hell again..

Good thing is, now I have pretty much convinced the wife that I need a new carb and intake or this will keep happending. And what better time to buy a new carb than right now with the edelbrock deal, Free air cleaner with the purchase of qualifying carb.. YAYY!

Well Pac, I went ahead and picked up a bottle of gum out, poured it in to the tank with only about 4 gallons of gas in it. Let it sit a little while, then started it up and brought it up to temp with it stumbling all over the place. I ran it for about 15 minutes and took it around the block, still running like crap.

I noticed that the gasket between the top plate of the carb and the bowl was a little wet, and had a little gas on it.. So I killed the car and let her sit.

While it was running I watched my fuel filter to be sure it was staying full of gas, and it was so I knew it wasnt a blockage in the line, had to be the carb. After sitting for about 20 minutes I cranked it up again, and it ran rough for about 40 seconds and then I revved it and vroooomm... My baby was back.. I could feel and hear the difference in the car once the blockage was gone, and it runs like a bat out of hell again..

Good thing is, now I have pretty much convinced the wife that I need a new carb and intake or this will keep happending. And what better time to buy a new carb than right now with the edelbrock deal, Free air cleaner with the purchase of qualifying carb.. YAYY!

choke is a manual choke, and not even connected, just adjusted so that it opens up when the motor is at temp.

You lost me there. A manual choke doesn't have any adjustment (except the choke lever) and it will NOT "open up" unless something moves the linkage.

You might want to go back and look into the choke again.

Edited by ForceFed70

choke is a manual choke, and not even connected, just adjusted so that it opens up when the motor is at temp.

You lost me there. A manual choke doesn't have any adjustment (except the choke lever) and it will NOT "open up" unless something moves the linkage.

You might want to go back and look into the choke again.

Edited by ForceFed70

Sorry,, what I meant by not connected was that the choke tube is not connected to the exhaust, so it actually doesnt come up to temp as quick as it would if it were connected. It opens up when the heat, radiating up from the motor warms the spring enough..