Sign in to follow this  
Cupid

Aluminum Radiator/Fan CFM Question

I bought a universal radiator at the advice of the Summit Cust Serv. As you can see from the pics, the radiator fits pretty darn good! The problems are 1) My Ford Taurus fan is a little too thick and 2) the lower (driver side) hose sticks up at a 45* angle...:huh:. It points at the pwr steering pump.

Questions: 1) Since I will be going with a skinnier fan, what CFM can I get away with? 2) Can anybody make a recommendation on a hose that can bend pretty darn good w/o binding up. I need to make 2 significant bends. I'm talking close to 90* bends.

I have a newly built 351 Cleveland, Alum Heads, Air Gap Intake, Roller Rockers, Vintage Air A/C, P/S, blah, blah, blah...hasn't even been started yet...:whistling:

Thanks

I bought a universal radiator at the advice of the Summit Cust Serv. As you can see from the pics, the radiator fits pretty darn good! The problems are 1) My Ford Taurus fan is a little too thick and 2) the lower (driver side) hose sticks up at a 45* angle...:huh:. It points at the pwr steering pump.

Questions: 1) Since I will be going with a skinnier fan, what CFM can I get away with? 2) Can anybody make a recommendation on a hose that can bend pretty darn good w/o binding up. I need to make 2 significant bends. I'm talking close to 90* bends.

I have a newly built 351 Cleveland, Alum Heads, Air Gap Intake, Roller Rockers, Vintage Air A/C, P/S, blah, blah, blah...hasn't even been started yet...:whistling:

Thanks

Hello,

Not sure about the cfm.

I have seen semi hard line before for radiator hoses.

By that I mean rubber hose to connect to the radiator and water pump and then a hard line, think exhaust pipe size, that has been bent for the fitment needed.

Just trying to give some ideas...

Marc Cramer

Hello,

Not sure about the cfm.

I have seen semi hard line before for radiator hoses.

By that I mean rubber hose to connect to the radiator and water pump and then a hard line, think exhaust pipe size, that has been bent for the fitment needed.

Just trying to give some ideas...

Marc Cramer

I thought about both of these ideas. I'm going to try my luck with the rubber/hard/rubber route first.....

*I just realized that didn't sound right, but you know what I mean!*

I thought about both of these ideas. I'm going to try my luck with the rubber/hard/rubber route first.....

*I just realized that didn't sound right, but you know what I mean!*

You need at least a 16" and a 14" (1 puller 1 pusher). My setup is 351c 4v with aluminum pro comp heads RPM performer intake, with a 750 AED carb, stock water pump. I have a 3 row 24" aluminum radiator with a 16" pusher fan and 2 12" puller fans. My thermostat is a 180 and at idle my car gets down to 170 and sits at 180 while driving. I used to have constant, constant, constant overheating issues. My original setup was just the 2 12" fans...I added the 16" pusher fan and presto...I can now drive through town where all the red lights are.

FYI I did purchase a Pantera performance thermostat restrictor plate, this helped while driving but not at idle...the 16" fan did the trick.

You need at least a 16" and a 14" (1 puller 1 pusher). My setup is 351c 4v with aluminum pro comp heads RPM performer intake, with a 750 AED carb, stock water pump. I have a 3 row 24" aluminum radiator with a 16" pusher fan and 2 12" puller fans. My thermostat is a 180 and at idle my car gets down to 170 and sits at 180 while driving. I used to have constant, constant, constant overheating issues. My original setup was just the 2 12" fans...I added the 16" pusher fan and presto...I can now drive through town where all the red lights are.

FYI I did purchase a Pantera performance thermostat restrictor plate, this helped while driving but not at idle...the 16" fan did the trick.