Sign in to follow this  
CaliforniaMustang

How do you remove a manual steering adapter from the pitman arm?

I think you need a ball joint separator. I used a pickle fork on mine and ruined the actuator but didn't mind as I am upgrading to R&P. Not sure if this helps since my old system was power steering with a power ram.

Always used something like this

http://www.brandsplace.com/0246-otc7314a.html

Check this out

http://www.mustangandfords.com/howto/5271_mustang_steering_upgrade/index.html

Could try renting one from your local auto parts store.

I can see how something like that tool would be a huge headache saver, but I can't envision how it would work. As you can see from the photo, you would need to reverse what this guy is doing to push the ball stud down through the pitman arm, and there's not enough room to get that equipment in place with the motor & headers installed.

I suppose I could string together a couple 20" socket extensions and route them down from the top of the motor.

p41271_image_large.jpg

I got two 4lb sledge hammers from sears, gonna beat on it tomorrow :shifty:

Edited by CaliforniaMustang

soak with Kroil or PB Blaster every day for several... then put a nut back on the stud (not your castle nut but another), heat the hell out the arm with a torch, have a buddy with a pry bar get some leverage on it, go from up top with a long punch through the center of the nut and a pair of gloves and wail it with a bmfh

I was having the same problem. Nothing would get the bolt to let go of the steering arm. I did not want to continue to beat on the arm so I bought a ball joint separator just like in the picture above. Best investment I made. It was out in literally 2 minutes. It let go with huge BAM. someone had really tightened it down tight. I am now a big fan of the ball joint separator and it only cost $28 to my door step.

JAG

I was having the same problem. Nothing would get the bolt to let go of the steering arm. I did not want to continue to beat on the arm so I bought a ball joint separator just like in the picture above. Best investment I made. It was out in literally 2 minutes. It let go with huge BAM. someone had really tightened it down tight. I am now a big fan of the ball joint separator and it only cost $28 to my door step.

JAG

LOL, try this use the pitman arm seperator or smaller tie rod seperator and just turn the wheel all the way to the right, the stuf will come to you rather than you going to the stud...

I was "half" kidding. :whistling:

There's nothing like the right tool...

LOL, try this use the pitman arm seperator or smaller tie rod seperator and just turn the wheel all the way to the right, the stuf will come to you rather than you going to the stud...

I was "half" kidding. :whistling:

There's nothing like the right tool...