Sign in to follow this  
PhilJ

Need a new battery

Hope some of you techie types can help me. I want a new replacement battery for a 1969 Mach I, 351 4bl.

Want to have "original" look and as high a cold crank amp battery as I can get. Any suggestions? Have any of you gone with the Autolite "cover" over another battery - what battery? I've found that "size" does matter!!

Yeah, buy the most CCA (cold cranking amps) you can afford in a group 24 case. Something around 500-600 CCA is more than adequate for a stock small block. Actually, I think it might be group 24F as the Fords had the + and - terminals reversed but either one will work. I think the original factory batteries were rated at something like 330 CCA or something pitiful like that. Technology marches on...

old thread, but same topic --

I need a new battery. I know the battery tray is sized for a group 24 battery, but is there a AGM battery that's group24? I can't seem to find an Optima one in this size.

My 'old' battery is 4 years old, and after pulling it out of my basement yesterday, I found a nice puddle underneath it (on the plastic shelf). Doh! I'm leaning towards a AGM battery just so I don't have to think about a leaky battery in my new battery tray :)

The red top Optima fits just fine. Although I had mine mounted in the trunk, I used the orginal top clamp to hold it down.

I just replaced it with a regular battery. I had left the trunk open and the trunk light drained it. It was so bright outside I didn't notice the light was on and went off to work. When I got home it was dead as a doornail. The Optima was about $200, whereas a regular group 24 was only $100, so I went the cheap way out this time. I got a HD "Gold top" (Advance Auto brand) with 800 CCA.