Sign in to follow this  
428stang

Need wheels during restoration.

Hi guys, I need to find some cheap wheels and tires to keep my project car mobile during restoration. Can you recommend any late model cars that may have a compatible bolt pattern and offset? I was thinking some cheap steelies from a Crown Vic. might work, but I haven't found any available yet.

You planning to drive it, or just for rolling it around in the garage?

The 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern is pretty damn common. For just rolling around the garage, I'd just go to the local JY and pick up whatever they have lying around. Keep them pretty skinny (5" or 6" wide) and the backspacing won't be an issue.

94 up Mustangs, 82 up Rangers & BroncoII's, Explorer's, Crown Vics, 80's and 90's Jeep Cherokee. But like Force said, backspace may be a issue-more of a problem on the front of your car with newer wheels. If you go to a JY, try, if you can, to finder older cars (about any 5 lug Ford car like a Granada, Maverick, T -bird, Torino etc). Most yards these days only deal in newer stuff but you may get lucky and find some older cars there. Or check your local want adds.

I think I would just pick up 4 donut spares from almost any ford vehicle. They are narrow enough that back space is not an issue and the bone yards are usually full of them so finding a set in the same rim diameter will be easy and they should be super cheap.