Sign in to follow this  
CaliforniaMustang

How to fix these rusty areas? (photos)

These are behind the chrome hood trim, each mounting hole looks about the same. I assume it's just a matter of sanding + primer, but I wasn't sure the recommended grit. And will it hurt to just use some white primer and no finishing paint?

DSC03596.jpg

DSC03597.jpg

This one really pisses me off, was not like this a month ago (damn rain). I'm thinking about getting a can of POR15 and treating some of the undercarriage - do I need to do anything to this spot before applying it?

DSC03604.jpg

If that's all the rust you have on the hood I would clean it off with some 40-80 grit and/or a wire wheel - whatever it takes to get the paint/rust off and to get the metal clean as possible. Then check with Eastwood or a company that deals with a chemical rust treatment product and a good self etching primer/sealer. Are you planing on a paint job soon? Even with a primer/sealer I would get paint on it ASAP.

thats just the front edge of the hood in the picture.I would say the rear is worse off.That lip could be almost gone from the backside

Here's a couple shots from the rear:

DSC04984.jpg

DSC04983.jpg

The hood has overall really nice paint, hoping not to respray the thing just to treat this hidden spot behind the chrome trim. Picked up some sandpaper and self-etching primer today, will post progress photos.

DSC04987.jpg