Sign in to follow this  
Boogerschnot

Windshield Molding / Cowl Cover instal????

How do I get the cowl pannel back on? I am trying to get it on with the molding installed, but I dont that that is going to happen.

Does it sit inside the molding clip? Do i need to bend the molding clip outwards to make it fit? can I pull the molding off without taking the clip off?

Does anyone have a step by step process? I have already scratched my paint with the molding and gave up.

Any help would be appreciated!

The cowl has to come out in order to remove the moulding clips for the lower windshield trim. The clips that secure the moulding slide inside of the lower mouldings (similar to how a shower curtain operates) and are secured to the car with screws. You cannot access those screws with the cowl installed first so the moulding has to go in first. The molding is not clipped to the cowl or attached to it. You cannot take the moulding off the clips without damaging the moulding and/or attaching clips.

The cowl simply slides under the lower windshield molding. Often, the molding is slightly curved or sometimes slighly bent downward which prevents the cowl from easily sliding under it. Can you get a helper or two to help lift up slightly on the molding while the cowl is being slid under it? It helps to start the cowl at about a 45 degree (or less) angle to the molding. You can also use two or more plastic scrappers on top of the cowl for protection to help get it started. You need to get an old sheet (nothing too thick) double folded across the leading edge of the molding to prevent scratches and help it slide in easier. secure it with a few pieces of painters tape, just enough to hold it in place. Put the tape against your clothing a few times to weaken the sticky part so it will release easier when you pull the sheet off after installation. It worked for me. Mike

Did you drive the car back and get the windshield installed Monday? Good advice mikem, also there are those little foam pieces that need to go inder the cowl before you install it. Were your hood and doors aligned by the paint shop? Just wondering how they might have done it without the cowl installed

They mocked it up to align everything and it worked out, the windshield wasnt in when they painted.. So yesterday the guys came over and put in the windshield and the molding.

Thanks Mike, your write up was exactly what I needed. I really appreciate it. Ill post some pics of it all together a little later.