Sign in to follow this  
Cupid

$4,729.35 is how much....

Ouch. You can certainly do it yourself for a lot cheaper if you have the skill, time, and tools.

- Clutch linkage isn't as difficult as it sounds, especially if you go hydrolic. Lots of info about this out there.

- Modifying your existing transmission crossmember (or building one from scratch) isn't hard either

- Only other thing you have to worry about is the driveshaft. I yanked an aluminum shaft from an Aerostar and had it shortened at a local driveline shop. It needed conversion U-joints but that's no big deal. Total cost was under $250.

Ouch. You can certainly do it yourself for a lot cheaper if you have the skill, time, and tools.

- Clutch linkage isn't as difficult as it sounds, especially if you go hydrolic. Lots of info about this out there.

- Modifying your existing transmission crossmember (or building one from scratch) isn't hard either

- Only other thing you have to worry about is the driveshaft. I yanked an aluminum shaft from an Aerostar and had it shortened at a local driveline shop. It needed conversion U-joints but that's no big deal. Total cost was under $250.

Yep! That's the plan now. All I have to do if find a 3550 or better. From what I have read, T-5s or "Temporary 5s" as some so eloquently put it don't like frequent 350 - 400 HP beatings. I wouldn't know if they are right or wrong.

Yep! That's the plan now. All I have to do if find a 3550 or better. From what I have read, T-5s or "Temporary 5s" as some so eloquently put it don't like frequent 350 - 400 HP beatings. I wouldn't know if they are right or wrong.

A lot of it depends on your suspension and driving. Slicks, locker, and dropping the clutch at the track will break it alot easier than an open rear ended car on radials.

My used and unknown history T5 has lasted a season behind my turbo'd 351W, but I'll admit that I've been babying it. I've never dyno'd it but if I had to guess I'd say the engine is putting out around 400RWHP. I do expect the T5 to break at some point, and if/when it does I will probably replace it with an G-force T5. I like the G-Force option because apparently there isn't another easily adaptable transmission out there that shifts nicer than the T5, and it would be a straight swap for the existing T5.

I have no desire for a 6 speed unless it's paddle shifted or something.

Damn, I almost managed to suppress the memory of paying for my 800 lb.ft T-56 and then this is posted... :scared:

Anyway, a T5 can be upgraded to handle a LOT of torque. Just have a look at Tim Matherly! Price seems to go up exponentially with torque of course but 4-500hp is not that expensive. Try ProMotion Powertrain for example; a +600hp T5 will cost you around $1800. Call them - and dont be put off if they are difficult to reach, they are busy for a good reason!

http://www.promotionpowertrain.com/1231590.html

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Matherlys-ProCharged_153833.htm

I'll have to pull my receipts for my TKO 600 from Keisler but I know it was not that much and it was the complete package including the hydraulic setup. Are you converting to manual from auto? Maybe that increased the costs? One thing about the TKO 600 - it will handle every bit of 600hp/Tq and slicks and 4k clutch dumps, etc... AND get you 20mpg in 5th gear.

Edited by coz

I'll have to pull my receipts for my TKO 600 from Keisler but I know it was not that much and it was the complete package including the hydraulic setup. Are you converting to manual from auto? Maybe that increased the costs? One thing about the TKO 600 - it will handle every bit of 600hp/Tq and slicks and 4k clutch dumps, etc... AND get you 20mpg in 5th gear.

Yes, i'm converting, but still.....that's a lot of cash for a bell housing, clutch, hyd thowout bearing, speedo gear, xmember, and a shifter.....or is it? :whistling: