Sign in to follow this  
PaleRider

? on Mounting 6x9s in Rear

I know probably a stupid question but I have a 70 mach that I would like to put 6x9s in the rear without cutting metal brace under package tray. On my other fastback I cut brace to drop 6x9s in and would prefer not to do it that way. Any tips - Thanks in advance.

i have been around car audio for awhile, and imo its better to go with a nice pair of 6 1/2's than a pair or 6x9's

if you do choose the 6 1/2 route get a component set and mount the tweeters in the rear quarter panels and it turns out real nice

but if you already have the 6x9's just make a speaker ring so the speaker is lifted off the rear deck so it fits and carpet it so it looks nice.

if you have any questions on brands just ask!

-Jimmy

a nice pair of 6 1/2 has better woofer cone control... aka better sound quality dont expect over the top low rap bass, meant only for subwoofers , but components produce more than necessary midbass, and tweeters pick up the "highs" so it will sound correct and balanced,

if you get a set try to make sure they come with crossovers,

if you want to pursue the topic, i suggest giving caraudio.com/forum a shot

there may be alot of extra crap there, but it is a treasure trove of knowledge...

but if you dont want to bther with it, ill try to answer you questions to the best of my ability, -Jimmy

Blinkcrazy, thanks for the advice. I stopped and listed to 6 1/2 versus 6x9 and I do think they sound better. The difference between the 6 1/2 components and regular 6 1/2 is like nite and day. Components sound awesome. I don't really listen to stereo that much and am planning on selling later this year to fund another project and don't want to cut too many holes in it. I probably will cheap out and get regular 6 1/2 - pretty big difference in price (+ $100). But when I upgrade current project car (keeper) I will definitely look at the components with nice subwoofer. thanks for tip.

Unless you raise the speakers up off the package tray surface I don't think you can get around cutting holes in the sheetmetal. I can't remember which vendor it was but one of them offers a plastic or fiberglass tray that has round raised surfaces which probably does exactly that, it may have been CJ or NPD but not sure.

if you want to make your own "spacer" to lift the speakers up, go to lowes and get a sheet of mdf (medium density fiberboard) and either use a router or a different saw to cut the circles for the speaker to drop into, but you need to coat the mdf in sealent or paint it cause mdf loves to soak up moisture... just an idea