Sign in to follow this  
Bobby A

Very rarely seen item....

First off, let me introduce myself. My name is Bobby and back College I had a really nice Acapulco blue 1969 Mach 1. 351 Windsor, really nice ride. The car had these 'bumper guards' on the front and rear bumpers. They were a perfect fit on the bumper and saved the front and rear of the car from those parking bumps that always happen.

I think these were from the factory because they fit the contour of the bumpers perfectly. They could not fit on any other bumper except a 69/70. They actually made the car look kind of mean. I have never, and I mean never, have seen these on any other 69/70 Mustang.

They are built to attach to the bumper and are rock solid. They had rubber on the front of them and the rest was chrome.

I took them off when I sold the car and I recently found them while cleaning out my garage. I can take pictures of them and I even might have a picture of them when they were on my old car.

My question is this, does anybody know about these items? Can anyone shed any light on them? I would think that somebody would have seen them and maybe even want them for their car.

Thanks for taking time to read this post,

Bobby A

66 Fastback (sold)

67 Convertible (sold)

69 Mach 1 (wish I didn't sell)

2001 Corvette

2008 Avalanche

2008 Fatboy

You mean like the ones Stang69's mom had? :whistling:

http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3595&d=1221232335

Welcome to the forum, it's a great place to exchange info. About the bumper guards, yes they were available in 1969, and, yes, I gotta agree they are probably pretty rare. There is probably someone out there who would love to have them, so you might try eBay or Craig's list or something. I definitely wouldn't throw them away.

Thats them!!!! That is only the second time I have seen them.

I have them for the front and back. I knew someone here would know about them but I never expected a picture!

Thanks for the advice. I may clean them up and put them on Ebay. Maybe someone here could use them. If so just PM me.

Thanks again,

Bobby

Hey no problem. Like I said, Stang69 provided the picture, I just posted the link. I gotta believe those bumper guards were the sort of thing not too many people bought, and then most of those got removed and discarded over the years. You need to find that guy that wants a totally original restoration and really needs them.

I googled them and virtually every car I saw that listed them as "original equipment" had them missing in the photo.

Welcome to the sight Bobby. I don't know how popular they were when brand new but I guarantee almost any car that had them new got them removed at some point over the last 40 years. I think being on a sportsroof had to be one of the more rare combos though, this was certainly not seen as a performance looking option, mostly found on 6cyl grocery getting coupes I'm sure. If you look in the 69' sales brochure they don't even show them on a single car, only a slight mention on one of the last pages down at the bottom of the "better ideas" section and only for the front. http://www.1969stang.com/1969_brochure.pdf

I've seen several cars over the years that still had them but not often and I have never seen a set on the rear bumper that I can recall. A only slightly more popular version is the chrome bumperette that connects down to the lower valance as seen on this Grande'.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3572&d=1220918186

I'm not sure but there might be some sales figures to reference in Kevin Marti's "by the numbers" book and if you still know the VIN # of that car then it might even show up on a Marti Report as a 1 of X statistic.

Hey that's my car.

Those large bumper guards with the rubber are not a factory item. Only those that go over the valance were a factory option. Now I'm not sure if the large ones were a Ford over-the-counter option or maybe an old JC Whitney thing.