Sign in to follow this  
Pakrat

What size crown for the convertible top staples?

I am gearing up to start my top replacement this fall and shopping for a pneumatic stapler. I have tons of info on how to do it and tricks and tips and the size staples you need and what not but I'll be damned if I can find a single mention anywhere on what size crown you should use. Does that not really matter? I guess I can kind of see why it might not matter since a U is a U but I would think there is at least a min/max size you should observe.

I found a real good buy on a combination brad/staple gun but it only takes up to 3/16 crown on the staples and I don't see why that wouldn't be OK since in the old days all they used was a single post tack but I'd like to be sure.

Crap, that's what I figured but wasn't sure. Well at least I didn't buy it already I guess. I've seen some decent priced 3/8 ones too but they usually can't also do brads at that size crown. Either way I'll be ahead of the game $$ wise and have a new tool but I know I won't be using a stapler all that much other than this, not as much as I would brads anyway. Thanks for the info sellers!

So I wonder how the hell they ever got tacks to work in ye olden days? I guess if a 1/4" rips in between then it leaves a bigger hole than a single tack post does.

BTW, what I read says for length I need 1/4" - 3/8" and 1/2" staples, can you verify I actually need all 3 sizes?

i called mark & he said you would be just fine with the 3/8 length all the way.

Cool, thanks bud! I'm very excited and nervous to tackle this project, I fully expect sharp pains from my neck all the way down to my ass along the way but I really think I'll be able to do a great job. I've done some upholstery work before and I know how to make a pair of shoes the old fashioned cobbler way so between that and a mix of common sense and patience my hopes are high.

You'll do fine. I did my top a while back and was equally nervous, especially since I replaced my worn out front tack strip with a homemade job (repop's are now available but mine worked beautifully). The top came out great; no sags, misalignment or wrinkles, and it;s the first and only one I've ever done. Like everything else on old cars, patience and attention to detail goes a long way.

the biggest pain is getting the sail panels stretched & fastened properly without wrinkles. steam will go a long way to help also. it's unbelievable what a little steam will remove as far as wrinkles.

Well that brings up another good point, I have read several people reccomend steam over just a heat gun or blow dryer, so what would be the best source for that steam? Just an old iron with a towel in between for protection or something more like a wallpaper steamer/remover?