Sign in to follow this  
maleah

No spark out the top of coil

Besides the obvious of getting a new coil, what would be any other reason im not getting spark out of the top of the coil? I DO have power on the positive side of the coil and the negitive. I have 2 coils in my garage that i tried but the same thing happens to both. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My first guess would be an open in your coil but since you say 2 coils are doing it, that reduces the chances it's the coil. I'd check the innards of your distributor. Is the condensor good and points gapped right? Is the wire broken between the distro and coil? If you've got electronic ignition, is it good and is it getting 12V?

I know a lot of people have trouble with Pertronix modules because they unknowingly wire them to the coil (which is only 6V) instead of a true 12V at the ignition switch. (Most will still work at 6V but a few will not)

I realize this is an old post, but I'm replying in case someone out there finds this by searching - like I did.

My car suddenly started having problems producing spark. Ultimately, I tracked it down to the condenser (inside the dist cap) had gone bad. It happened over a period of a week or so (~15miles driving), from running well, to rough, to really rough, to died and wouldn't start again).

Ultimately, just swapping the condenser for a new one solved all the problems.

If you have the old-style points and condenser dist, this could be the problem...

Jay