Sign in to follow this  
1BAD351

Dry sump oiling system?

Hey guys I am thinking of building a dry sump system that doesn't involve a custom oil pan. I am kind of new to this type of system so does anyone have one or any good info on incorporating one into a car that there are no kits available for? If it matters it will be going into a 1993 Ford Taurus SHO.

Hey guys I am thinking of building a dry sump system that doesn't involve a custom oil pan. I am kind of new to this type of system so does anyone have one or any good info on incorporating one into a car that there are no kits available for? If it matters it will be going into a 1993 Ford Taurus SHO.

i know it's basically just a matter of adding the pump resorvoir and hoses and modifying the pickup system but how you'd do it on a SHO motor i have no idea. try doing a google search to see if anyone has ever done it before

On this car, I highly doubt it, put it this way, I am on SHOforum, and posted here about doing it. Those guys over there I swear to god are so scared to try something new its not even funny. All I would get is crap on how it will never work. Do you know if there is anything special about the pans on those systems, because of course they don't make anything for the SHO anymore (not that they ever made this to begin with) so I am stuck using the stock pan unless I have one custom made $$$.

Actually now that I'm looking at those pictures, I might not even have to mess with the oil pickup that thing looks liek its at the way bottom of the pan already, or am I missing this whole dry sump thing haha, (time to do more reading)

i know it's basically just a matter of adding the pump resorvoir and hoses and modifying the pickup system but how you'd do it on a SHO motor i have no idea. try doing a google search to see if anyone has ever done it before

On this car, I highly doubt it, put it this way, I am on SHOforum, and posted here about doing it. Those guys over there I swear to god are so scared to try something new its not even funny. All I would get is crap on how it will never work. Do you know if there is anything special about the pans on those systems, because of course they don't make anything for the SHO anymore (not that they ever made this to begin with) so I am stuck using the stock pan unless I have one custom made $$$.

Actually now that I'm looking at those pictures, I might not even have to mess with the oil pickup that thing looks liek its at the way bottom of the pan already, or am I missing this whole dry sump thing haha, (time to do more reading)

Is the oil pan cast or sheetmetal? The Idea is not to have oil pooling in the pan so I would think adding fittings to the pan and plumbed to the external pump set up would be sufficient. I think typically there is a seperate scavange pump for each region (oil pan, lifter valley, etc). As bnickel said, google it and research the different systems and you should be able to figure out a system arrangement.

Is the oil pan cast or sheetmetal? The Idea is not to have oil pooling in the pan so I would think adding fittings to the pan and plumbed to the external pump set up would be sufficient. I think typically there is a seperate scavange pump for each region (oil pan, lifter valley, etc). As bnickel said, google it and research the different systems and you should be able to figure out a system arrangement.

I was thinking of using the oil drain plug as the intake for the pump and such, think tha'll work out well? The drain plus is in the rear of the pan (it's a FWD so the engine is mounted the wrong way aka sideways) so the only time I think it might be a problem is under heavy braking, but I was also thinking of running an acusump and I believe that would solve any problems I would have if I were to suck in air for a second.

I was thinking of using the oil drain plug as the intake for the pump and such, think tha'll work out well? The drain plus is in the rear of the pan (it's a FWD so the engine is mounted the wrong way aka sideways) so the only time I think it might be a problem is under heavy braking, but I was also thinking of running an acusump and I believe that would solve any problems I would have if I were to suck in air for a second.