Sign in to follow this  
Pakrat

Urethane glue vs. tape????

I was going to tackle reinstalling my windows this weekend and was prepared to go with the urethane glue on the windows but my body guy is trying to talk me into this tape that he says is the correct thing to use. He says you soak it in lacquer thinner then pop it in and walk away and it's supposed to be way easier to handle than the glue and does not require the type of glass prep glue does.

Anyone heard of this? Is this something new or how the factory did it originally instead of an actual glue?

I was going to tackle reinstalling my windows this weekend and was prepared to go with the urethane glue on the windows but my body guy is trying to talk me into this tape that he says is the correct thing to use. He says you soak it in lacquer thinner then pop it in and walk away and it's supposed to be way easier to handle than the glue and does not require the type of glass prep glue does.

Anyone heard of this? Is this something new or how the factory did it originally instead of an actual glue?

man, go with the urethane. he's trying to talk you into using the old butyl tape. the butyl would be o.k., but still needs the proper primers for a good seal. if no primer is used, i give it a few months at most before you will have to redo because of the leaks. he's wanting to use the thinner to dissolve & liquify the edge to create it's own primer instead of purchasing & using the correct primer. the stuff will also get hot in summer temps, & ooze out everywhere. in my opinion it would be like choosing a stock 4 wheel drum setup over a good set of discs. i can give you some tips on the urethane to get a good quality job .

man, go with the urethane. he's trying to talk you into using the old butyl tape. the butyl would be o.k., but still needs the proper primers for a good seal. if no primer is used, i give it a few months at most before you will have to redo because of the leaks. he's wanting to use the thinner to dissolve & liquify the edge to create it's own primer instead of purchasing & using the correct primer. the stuff will also get hot in summer temps, & ooze out everywhere. in my opinion it would be like choosing a stock 4 wheel drum setup over a good set of discs. i can give you some tips on the urethane to get a good quality job .

I am getting a little confused about all this talk of leaks, maybe I wasn't clear that I am talking about the side windows into the regulator? I feel like everyone is talking about the windshield which I have no inntentions of tackling myself.

I am getting a little confused about all this talk of leaks, maybe I wasn't clear that I am talking about the side windows into the regulator? I feel like everyone is talking about the windshield which I have no inntentions of tackling myself.

Pak, use the glue from CJ's or better yet pay out the a _ _ and do the 70 bolt in sets!

I guess you don't know me very well yet Reese. :tongue_smilie:

I am the biggest proponent for NOT doing the 70 conversion and pushing the modern urethane adhesives. I was just curious if this tape thing was something new, better or way easier since I was unfamilliar with it.

Pak, use the glue from CJ's or better yet pay out the a _ _ and do the 70 bolt in sets!

I guess you don't know me very well yet Reese. :tongue_smilie:

I am the biggest proponent for NOT doing the 70 conversion and pushing the modern urethane adhesives. I was just curious if this tape thing was something new, better or way easier since I was unfamilliar with it.