Sign in to follow this  
Wolfsburg

1970 Grande questions...

Hello gents; good to be here.

A local seller has a 1970 Grande for sell with a 351 engine (a 2v Windsor, I think). He seems to think that most Grandes did not sport such an engine (instead having 302s). Does anyone know if this is the case? Does anyone know of any production numbers?

The car also has a half vinyl top. Was this factory, dealer installed, or after market? I can't seem to find many pictures of such a top, with most Grandes apparently having the full vinyl top. I'm not a big fan of the way these half tops look, but I do think they are interesting, if nothing else.

Here's a pic of the top:

mustang007.jpg

Hello gents; good to be here.

A local seller has a 1970 Grande for sell with a 351 engine (a 2v Windsor, I think). He seems to think that most Grandes did not sport such an engine (instead having 302s). Does anyone know if this is the case? Does anyone know of any production numbers?

The car also has a half vinyl top. Was this factory, dealer installed, or after market? I can't seem to find many pictures of such a top, with most Grandes apparently having the full vinyl top. I'm not a big fan of the way these half tops look, but I do think they are interesting, if nothing else.

Here's a pic of the top:

mustang007.jpg

I would say a high percentage of Grandes received 302s, but there were quite a few 351-2V and 351-4V as well. I wouldn't say a 351 Grande is rare.

The 3/4 vinyl top and full vinyl top were options in '70.

I would say a high percentage of Grandes received 302s, but there were quite a few 351-2V and 351-4V as well. I wouldn't say a 351 Grande is rare.

The 3/4 vinyl top and full vinyl top were options in '70.

Welcome aboard.

While I agree it's not very attractive I'll bet the 3/4 top is one of the more rare options on that particular car. You rarely see them anymore, not sure how many there were to start with but most have undoubtedly been changed over the years.

Welcome aboard.

While I agree it's not very attractive I'll bet the 3/4 top is one of the more rare options on that particular car. You rarely see them anymore, not sure how many there were to start with but most have undoubtedly been changed over the years.

the landau top was actually a failry common option for the 70 grande as was the 351-2v, the 351-4v and 428 were much rarer options. there are at least one or two other 70 grandes with the same landau top here on this site. it's too bad your car didn't or doesn't have the houndstooth cloth interior.... that was one of my favorite options on the 70 grande.

my old 70 cougar had the black/white houndstooth interior and was winbledon white with a black vinyl top. my current 69 cougar has the extremely rare two tone paint option which basically consisted of the top being painted a contrasting color to the body, mine is light aqua with a white top, and the "vinyl top" trim was chromed for the 2 tone cars instead of being the same color as the vinyl top and was also smooth instead of being textured.

when i get donw with the 69 cougar it will basically be a combination of my old 70 cougar and my 69 mustang GT coupe. it will be acapulco blue with, probably, a black top and black/blue houndstooth interior

the landau top was actually a failry common option for the 70 grande as was the 351-2v, the 351-4v and 428 were much rarer options. there are at least one or two other 70 grandes with the same landau top here on this site. it's too bad your car didn't or doesn't have the houndstooth cloth interior.... that was one of my favorite options on the 70 grande.

my old 70 cougar had the black/white houndstooth interior and was winbledon white with a black vinyl top. my current 69 cougar has the extremely rare two tone paint option which basically consisted of the top being painted a contrasting color to the body, mine is light aqua with a white top, and the "vinyl top" trim was chromed for the 2 tone cars instead of being the same color as the vinyl top and was also smooth instead of being textured.

when i get donw with the 69 cougar it will basically be a combination of my old 70 cougar and my 69 mustang GT coupe. it will be acapulco blue with, probably, a black top and black/blue houndstooth interior