Sign in to follow this  
Pakrat

Looks like I'll need some new 17" rim ideas.......

hey pak, i sent you an email with an attachment of a chop i did of a salt flat special wheel but for whatever reason i can't post a psd. file here without it screwing up and locking up my internet explorer. anyway, if you can figure it out cuold you post it here? i'd like to see what everyone else thinks of it too.

Thanks for the chop work guys, I guess I should have checked in this weekend and saved myself some work as I gave it a try also. It seems to be quite a bit more black than the 500 even though in actuality it's just a little more but I have to admit it's not a bad look, I'm half thinking with my car I might could get away with painting it in body color also, could be cool. It kind of reminds me more of the rim Shelby used.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3360&d=1217270470

Sellers, where did you get that great price from? I checked their dealer locator and I have one to choose from in NH about 30 mi. away. I did notice this is one of the rims in the overstock online inventory available for direct sale but it was $229 for the 8" and $249 for 9.5" still not a bad price though and I doubt it would be less at the dealer.

BTW Bryan, I do not have any emails from you. Even though the site excepts PSD files they are usually too engrained to post, can't you just flatten it and save as a JPG?

Thanks for the chop work guys, I guess I should have checked in this weekend and saved myself some work as I gave it a try also. It seems to be quite a bit more black than the 500 even though in actuality it's just a little more but I have to admit it's not a bad look, I'm half thinking with my car I might could get away with painting it in body color also, could be cool. It kind of reminds me more of the rim Shelby used.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3360&d=1217270470

Sellers, where did you get that great price from? I checked their dealer locator and I have one to choose from in NH about 30 mi. away. I did notice this is one of the rims in the overstock online inventory available for direct sale but it was $229 for the 8" and $249 for 9.5" still not a bad price though and I doubt it would be less at the dealer.

BTW Bryan, I do not have any emails from you. Even though the site excepts PSD files they are usually too engrained to post, can't you just flatten it and save as a JPG?

Not sure why I didn't think of checking out what centerline has before but they have a couple of interesting choices actually. I guess when I think of them I think of that signature solid drag type wheel.

This one is called LEGEND SERIES-RETRO I think this could look even more like the magnum with some black paint added (working on a chop of that now). No idea what pricing is like though, you have to call on this one, usually not a good sign.

20060920153618_retro.jpg

This is their BILLET SERIES-GN, not exactly what I am going for with the new look but it does kind of remind me of a cleaner larger version of the stock SSW's I have now. Makes me think anyway. You have to call for this one on price too.

20060920153626_gn.jpg

This one gets more and more interesting the longer you look at it but I think it's a little out of my price range. They don't even have it in the catalog yet but their is a special factory direct order only in the overstock section for some reason. They claim it is suggested to sell at $638 but with a limited new wheel offering of $399. Wouldn't need any modifying though either I guess.

TN_12611softtailblack.jpg

Not sure why I didn't think of checking out what centerline has before but they have a couple of interesting choices actually. I guess when I think of them I think of that signature solid drag type wheel.

This one is called LEGEND SERIES-RETRO I think this could look even more like the magnum with some black paint added (working on a chop of that now). No idea what pricing is like though, you have to call on this one, usually not a good sign.

20060920153618_retro.jpg

This is their BILLET SERIES-GN, not exactly what I am going for with the new look but it does kind of remind me of a cleaner larger version of the stock SSW's I have now. Makes me think anyway. You have to call for this one on price too.

20060920153626_gn.jpg

This one gets more and more interesting the longer you look at it but I think it's a little out of my price range. They don't even have it in the catalog yet but their is a special factory direct order only in the overstock section for some reason. They claim it is suggested to sell at $638 but with a limited new wheel offering of $399. Wouldn't need any modifying though either I guess.

TN_12611softtailblack.jpg

Here's a couple looks at the RETRO with paint, not sure it adds to the look though, all polished may be better on this one. I have some concerns about process and quality of painting over polished areas though, that is one advantage to the rim that sellers has for sure if going custom, the AR salt flat version is either all paint or all polished making the centerline a better overall choice too considering the end prduct desired.

Here's a couple looks at the RETRO with paint, not sure it adds to the look though, all polished may be better on this one. I have some concerns about process and quality of painting over polished areas though, that is one advantage to the rim that sellers has for sure if going custom, the AR salt flat version is either all paint or all polished making the centerline a better overall choice too considering the end prduct desired.

Pak, i guess i don't have your new email addy, i still have the old ATTBI addy. i would have sent it through the email from here but i can't attach anything. pm your email addy and i'll send it on. i can't figure out how to change the PSD file to a JPG file, no matter what i do it will only save it as a PSD file.

as far as painting over a polished surface all you have to do is scuff the surface you want painted with a scotch brite pad and you'll have all the adhesion you'll need. i really like the way the salt flats look the way i had chopped them, crappy as the chop was it gives you a really good idea what it would look like and i think the look is kind of a modern retro interpretation of a magnum 500

Pak, i guess i don't have your new email addy, i still have the old ATTBI addy. i would have sent it through the email from here but i can't attach anything. pm your email addy and i'll send it on. i can't figure out how to change the PSD file to a JPG file, no matter what i do it will only save it as a PSD file.

as far as painting over a polished surface all you have to do is scuff the surface you want painted with a scotch brite pad and you'll have all the adhesion you'll need. i really like the way the salt flats look the way i had chopped them, crappy as the chop was it gives you a really good idea what it would look like and i think the look is kind of a modern retro interpretation of a magnum 500

pak, i ordered mine directly from centerline. you have to give them the part number from the overstock/closeout page to get the good price or they will charge the reg price. the sundance wheels i got were reg $375 each until i gave them the number, then it dropped. looks like the prices have increased, as mine were $189 for the 8" $209 for the 9.5" which averaged to $199 per wheel.

a little info on those 5 spoke wheels with the blacked out edges: those were what i originally called to order for my 36 p/u. they are in the same deal as the american magnums. they list the sizes, but only a few are actually available. i wanted the 20x8 for the rear & was told they hadn't decided yet whether to make them & if they did, it would take 4-6 mos. to get the cnc programs perfected & set up to cut the centers, then another month or so to get them made. that was even "if" they decided to produce them.

pak, i ordered mine directly from centerline. you have to give them the part number from the overstock/closeout page to get the good price or they will charge the reg price. the sundance wheels i got were reg $375 each until i gave them the number, then it dropped. looks like the prices have increased, as mine were $189 for the 8" $209 for the 9.5" which averaged to $199 per wheel.

a little info on those 5 spoke wheels with the blacked out edges: those were what i originally called to order for my 36 p/u. they are in the same deal as the american magnums. they list the sizes, but only a few are actually available. i wanted the 20x8 for the rear & was told they hadn't decided yet whether to make them & if they did, it would take 4-6 mos. to get the cnc programs perfected & set up to cut the centers, then another month or so to get them made. that was even "if" they decided to produce them.

JK, I still want the AR's as my first choice but I just don't know what to make of this whole situation yet and I didn't get a chance to go to the tire place last weekend. BTW, I do have 13" cobra disc's up front, just the rears are drum still for now.

Bryan, lay off the crack. I don't know where you got this attbi info from but I have never had an email like that. My address is super top secret hush hush code that you need a slide rule to decipher, it's my "user name" @69stang.com (ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh). If you go into your address book at your web account every single person that has one of these addresses is automatically listed but I know you have emailed me there before. Send the file to me and I'll fix it.

Ok, thanks for the info sellers, I definitely don't want to get caught in one of the manufacturing issues again. So you ended up with 4.5" and 6" BS right?

JK, I still want the AR's as my first choice but I just don't know what to make of this whole situation yet and I didn't get a chance to go to the tire place last weekend. BTW, I do have 13" cobra disc's up front, just the rears are drum still for now.

Bryan, lay off the crack. I don't know where you got this attbi info from but I have never had an email like that. My address is super top secret hush hush code that you need a slide rule to decipher, it's my "user name" @69stang.com (ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh). If you go into your address book at your web account every single person that has one of these addresses is automatically listed but I know you have emailed me there before. Send the file to me and I'll fix it.

Ok, thanks for the info sellers, I definitely don't want to get caught in one of the manufacturing issues again. So you ended up with 4.5" and 6" BS right?

Here's Bryans version of the black out on the AR Salt Flat. Not bad either but I think the centerline design takes to the treatment better without the star floating in the center.

Here's Bryans version of the black out on the AR Salt Flat. Not bad either but I think the centerline design takes to the treatment better without the star floating in the center.

I personally like the 4th one down...but it wouldn't look great with drums:001_huh:

Yeah that one is really growing on me but I have some concerns about the drums outback also (reason number 347 why I wanted the Magnums originally) and I realy don't even want to consider rear discs right now.

Think about this though, what if instead of painting a portion of it I added a backer to it or a dust type shield that was painted black? Kind of something that looks like this? Normally I hate dust shields on pretty much any wheel but painted black would be totally different. Of course I would have to do the same up front and hide my cobra calipers and slotted and drilled rotors too but they would have been mostly hidden in the Magnum anyway and I can't say that I would really mind my rims staying cleaner as a side benefit either.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????????? This really reminds me of the look on all my Matchbox and Hotwheel cars that I loved so much as a kid, I used to think the magnum reminded me of that but I think this looks even more like them now, especially when I add the custom redline to my tires.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3367&d=1217358119

I personally like the 4th one down...but it wouldn't look great with drums:001_huh:

Yeah that one is really growing on me but I have some concerns about the drums outback also (reason number 347 why I wanted the Magnums originally) and I realy don't even want to consider rear discs right now.

Think about this though, what if instead of painting a portion of it I added a backer to it or a dust type shield that was painted black? Kind of something that looks like this? Normally I hate dust shields on pretty much any wheel but painted black would be totally different. Of course I would have to do the same up front and hide my cobra calipers and slotted and drilled rotors too but they would have been mostly hidden in the Magnum anyway and I can't say that I would really mind my rims staying cleaner as a side benefit either.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????????? This really reminds me of the look on all my Matchbox and Hotwheel cars that I loved so much as a kid, I used to think the magnum reminded me of that but I think this looks even more like them now, especially when I add the custom redline to my tires.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3367&d=1217358119