Sign in to follow this  
mymach

Outer Wheelhouse

I did a search on this and only found one previous posting on the subject from over a year ago, with no replies. So I'll give it another shot since I'm preparing to embark on this part of my project. Anyone have any input, hints, or otherwise useful info on replacing outer wheelhousings?

I'm about to replace the quarter skins on my '70 Mach, and the outer wheelhouses as well. I'm wondering in particular about separating the inner and outer halves because they are seam welded together, not just spot welded. The thought had crossed my mind that instead of separating the seam, maybe I could cut the outer 'house about 2 or 3 inches outboard of the seam (the metal appears to be pretty solid in that area) and butt weld the new piece (appropriately cut to match) to the remaining metal. Something doesn't "feel" right about taking that approach, but maybe it's just me.

Any thoughts??? :confused1:

I did a search on this and only found one previous posting on the subject from over a year ago, with no replies. So I'll give it another shot since I'm preparing to embark on this part of my project. Anyone have any input, hints, or otherwise useful info on replacing outer wheelhousings?

I'm about to replace the quarter skins on my '70 Mach, and the outer wheelhouses as well. I'm wondering in particular about separating the inner and outer halves because they are seam welded together, not just spot welded. The thought had crossed my mind that instead of separating the seam, maybe I could cut the outer 'house about 2 or 3 inches outboard of the seam (the metal appears to be pretty solid in that area) and butt weld the new piece (appropriately cut to match) to the remaining metal. Something doesn't "feel" right about taking that approach, but maybe it's just me.

Any thoughts??? :confused1:

When I did mine I replaced inner and outer so I did not notice the seam weld. Is it on the outer edge? if so maybe you can grind it off and then drill out the spot welds. I would think that if you cut like you said it may be able to see it from the trunk.

When I did mine I replaced inner and outer so I did not notice the seam weld. Is it on the outer edge? if so maybe you can grind it off and then drill out the spot welds. I would think that if you cut like you said it may be able to see it from the trunk.

Thanks for the link Pakrat! Good pics on the process of the project. I even saved it to my favorites for future reference.

Maybe this seam I'm asking about won't be that big of a deal (referring to the seam where the two wheelhouse halves are joined). It's appearance is that of a constant weld over the entire length of the seam instead of a series of spot welds that could be drilled out to separate the halves. This is what concerned me as far as how to separate the halves without tearing the crap out of it. I'll find out soon!!

Thanks for the link Pakrat! Good pics on the process of the project. I even saved it to my favorites for future reference.

Maybe this seam I'm asking about won't be that big of a deal (referring to the seam where the two wheelhouse halves are joined). It's appearance is that of a constant weld over the entire length of the seam instead of a series of spot welds that could be drilled out to separate the halves. This is what concerned me as far as how to separate the halves without tearing the crap out of it. I'll find out soon!!

My hat is off to you rust belt guys, you save cars we here on the west coast would run away from screaming like our teeth are on fire.

LOL, I sure wasn't ready to handle it. I looked at 2 dozen local New England cars over a 2 year period prior to finally buying my San Jose car.

My hat is off to you rust belt guys, you save cars we here on the west coast would run away from screaming like our teeth are on fire.

LOL, I sure wasn't ready to handle it. I looked at 2 dozen local New England cars over a 2 year period prior to finally buying my San Jose car.

I sometimes think I should have run, fast and far! Unfortunately, this rusted rolling shell was the only way I would ever get my foot in the Mustang door, so to speak. And I always wanted to build my own car from the ground up. With the floor pans that were in this thing, "from the ground up" is pretty literal in meaning!! LOL

I sometimes think I should have run, fast and far! Unfortunately, this rusted rolling shell was the only way I would ever get my foot in the Mustang door, so to speak. And I always wanted to build my own car from the ground up. With the floor pans that were in this thing, "from the ground up" is pretty literal in meaning!! LOL