Sign in to follow this  
james the flame

installation of rear wing spoiler and back glass louvers

Morning everyone, Still gettiing everything ready for paint. My car DID NOT come with rear spoiler and back louvers but I have purchased them new to install. My question is Do I need to install them first because of all the drilling before I paint the car?? And remove them before I paint?? I don't know what is involved to install them and I sure don't want to mess up a new paint job. Any suggestions??? James

Morning everyone, Still gettiing everything ready for paint. My car DID NOT come with rear spoiler and back louvers but I have purchased them new to install. My question is Do I need to install them first because of all the drilling before I paint the car?? And remove them before I paint?? I don't know what is involved to install them and I sure don't want to mess up a new paint job. Any suggestions??? James

You're going to have to drill holes in the body James, so I would check & double check to make sure everything lines up correctly. Attach the hinges to the top of the louvers and attach the rubber strips to the sides of the louvers. I would then lay the louvers on the back glass, line it up with the window moulding on all sides, then mark the holes in the hinges. This should help the lower latches line up correctly. I'd recommend spending an extra $35 dollars for the rear spoiler supports. They'll probably help you get more accurate holes for the spoiler studs. And yea,..I'd defiantly do all this before I painted !

You're going to have to drill holes in the body James, so I would check & double check to make sure everything lines up correctly. Attach the hinges to the top of the louvers and attach the rubber strips to the sides of the louvers. I would then lay the louvers on the back glass, line it up with the window moulding on all sides, then mark the holes in the hinges. This should help the lower latches line up correctly. I'd recommend spending an extra $35 dollars for the rear spoiler supports. They'll probably help you get more accurate holes for the spoiler studs. And yea,..I'd defiantly do all this before I painted !

Stang Guy, I do not have the windshield or back glass in the car. I was told to put the headliner in before I put the glass in. I was going to lay the back glass back in the car and install the louver for hole drilling. What you are saying is I need to have the chrome on there to get the correct fit and measurement. Is that correct?? Also my spoiler came with the pedestels or stands. Is that what you are talking about. Thanks so much for your help. James

Stang Guy, I do not have the windshield or back glass in the car. I was told to put the headliner in before I put the glass in. I was going to lay the back glass back in the car and install the louver for hole drilling. What you are saying is I need to have the chrome on there to get the correct fit and measurement. Is that correct?? Also my spoiler came with the pedestels or stands. Is that what you are talking about. Thanks so much for your help. James

Here are the rear spoiler supports :http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/catalog/shop/item.asp?itemid=ER187 These attach to the underside of your trunk lid. They not only support they make it easier to get the holes drilled in the right spots.

Here are the rear spoiler supports :http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/catalog/shop/item.asp?itemid=ER187 These attach to the underside of your trunk lid. They not only support they make it easier to get the holes drilled in the right spots.

The louvers where already installed on my car when I bought it, but I think it would help you to get the louvers spaced correctly if you have the window & its trim installed. You should have gotten anchors & screws with youre louvers.

The louvers where already installed on my car when I bought it, but I think it would help you to get the louvers spaced correctly if you have the window & its trim installed. You should have gotten anchors & screws with youre louvers.