Sign in to follow this  
james the flame

how to hang parts for painting

I will be painting soon. Have painted several cars but most were assembled when painted. My mach 1 will be painted with fenders,trunk,hood,side scoops,rear 1/4 extensions,mirror,caul vent,etc. OFF THE CAR. Any suggestions on how to hang them or set them up to be able to paint them with good access??? I will probably do all cars in the future apart like this so I can build something permanent if need be. Thanks, James

I painted all my loose parts off the car. There are some advantages, but negatives also. With the hood and trunk hanging, the is much less dust that will settle in the paint. But, if you painted several cars you know, consistant application is key or you will have mismatched panels.

That said, make sure you have enough room to walk around everything. Consider trying to prevent overspray from one panel to the next. Keep the parts at eye level as best you can. Use saw horses for the fenders, otherwise they will hang in an awkward position. Make sure you have enough room between parts so if they swing they don't hit anything. I've been know to double and triple hanging small parts to conserve space and to make it easier to paint.