Sign in to follow this  
Arrowhead

Car is done but....

The tranny had to come back out. Had a major leak up front after it warmed up. I figured it's about time I learn how to do trannys so I bought a TCI rebuild kit from summit already. It's too bad, I have insurance, plates, inspection and almost all the detail work is done.

Hopefully I'll get it apart and rebuilt this weekend and it can be on the road again next week.

I knew it was a risk using this transmission, that's why I had taken a couple test drive without the front sheetmetal, but it seemed Ok. But once it wamed up after a ten mile drive, it pucked all over the place.

Oh well, lesson learned.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3190&d=1213320739

Believe it or not, it doesn't bother me that much. I got the car almost 2 years ago, but I didn't work on it last summer much. I got all the sheetmetal and rust reapir done the first winter and then took last summer off. I worked really hard and non stop the last eight months to get all the bodywork done, paint it, but the motor back together and then assemble the car. I still have a feeling of acomplishment even if it still needs some repairs. I'm kind of excited about doing the transmission anyway, I've never done one and I'm looking forward to the challenge.

It's not like it just needed to be assembled either. Parts need to be reconditioned and painted, hardware had to be sized and found. The car was mostly apart when I got it and there were a lot of pieces missing. Most parts came from a donor car I bought last year, that was a life saver and it's a good thing I found it, I haven't seen one since.