Sign in to follow this  
james the flame

front grille trim...what color??

Mornin everyone, When I got my car the alluminun 3 piece trim was painted black, After sanding I realized it was shinny alliminum. My car is a 69 mach 1. The trim I am speeking of is about 3 inches wideor more and runs along the bottom of the grille and the other 2 pieces go in the headlight bucket areas. My question is Should they have been black originally or were they polished alluminum. I think the black really "blacks out" the grille area and looks pretty nice but I would like to keep it original. Maybe you could order it either way from the factory. Please help, James

I think all the Mach1 grille trims were originally silver. I have seen a few painted black. I will be painting mine black because I think the black looks better.

Same goes with the tail light panel, I think they were only black on the Boss stangs but im going to paint that black too, because I like the look better than factory colour.

the grill trim is Argent (falt silver) on all 69's regardless of what model, even the Boss 302. i personally like the black myself as well and painted mine a satin black to match the hood blackout. i also polished the hood scoop grill and painted the insets black to match my original chrome grill copy that i made myself. gives the front of the car a more sinister and matching look, IMO.