Sign in to follow this  
PaleRider

So who has the best door skins?

Getting close to getting my 1970 sportsroof to paint. Doors have a lot of bondo in them - can see where where dent puller was used then filled. The structure of doors are pretty good so I'd prefer to put skins on instead of new door. Interested in hearing others experiences on doors skins before I buy them. Appreciate any feedback. thanks

palerider I got mine from Dallas Mustamg but they are local, went on real nice but if you`ve never done one before TAKE YOUR TIME!! Do not weld anything!!, til you get it back on and make sure it aligns back up!! Here is a article that I hope helps you. Again there are right tools for every job. Good Luck http://homepages.together.net/~manycj/mustang/mustang12.htm ps: Make sure you draw or scribe a bottom line to bend on, the other sides are bent but not the bottom, the line will ensure a good straight line at bottom.

I've been going through this myself so I have a little insight, several dealers told me the same story so I think it's true. there are only 3 manufacturers of mustang sheet metal, Dynacorn makes most of the brands including Goodmark. then there's the Ford Tooling line that's made in the US, but not all parts are available from them and the quality difference is questionable if it's worth the money over dynacorn. then there's a lower quality budget brand and I can't remember the name but they aren't the quality of Dynacorn.

I'm just an OK body man and I reskined my doors with great results. the only way to go in my opinion, plug weld at least the rear seam and you won't even be able to tell they've been skinned without a close inspection.

I had no rust at all but why mess with streched bondo loaded sheet metal when new stuff is so cheap and fit as well as it does. now I'm waiting for my hood and fenders to get here from Dynacorn and I'm ready to send my Mach 1 to the paint shop.

now I'm waiting for my hood and fenders to get here from Dynacorn and I'm ready to send my Mach 1 to the paint shop.

Let us know if the fenders are the same length. Mine I just placed on the car were a 1/4" different.

What a PIA!

I got mind from Ponderosa Mustang (highly reccomneded on the VMF) and they were OK. Still had to smooth them andthe key locks neede to be corected for size. I also had the drivers side body lines not line up, but I'm pretty sure that was the fender's problem.

This the skin after first starting to block sand and you can see the highs and lows.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3117&stc=1&d=1211286535

I just replaced mine with replacements from NPD. I was quite impressed actually with the way they fit. One of the body lines stuck out a little further than it did on the fender but that was easily fixed with about 3 minutes of pounding with a body hammer.