Sign in to follow this  
rangerdoc

power to a/c clutch

Hopefully, this will be my last question about this little R-12 to 134a project.

So, I'm all complete but now the clutch on the sanden compressor doesn't seem to work. I tested the power source with my little test light and I get a very weak glow. I tested at the connection between the compressor and power wire as well as where the wire plugs in at the firewall.

Do you think the clutch is not getting enough power? If so, I have no idea how to remedy the issue. Other ideas? The system worked fine previously. Help please!

I did a direct connect to the battery and the clutch worked. So, now I have to figure out why I'm not getting enough power from the lead out of the firewall!!! I have no idea where that wire goes. I'm assuming the a/c portion of the control panel is working fine since it did before. Ugh...anyone know where an electrical schematic for the a/c system can be found...besides my lost shop manuals?

You may want to check the environmental control switches that are attached to the know you turn left or right. There's a wheel with cogs in it that make or disconnect contact with the AC system. Since my radio is out, it's really easy to see it work. Just a thought...

It looks like the issue is a switch behind the control panel. I cannot find the name of the switch and so far have been unlucky finding it in the parts catalogs.

According to the diagram I have, the control lever that adjusts the system from defrost/heater/off/air conditioning is connected to a cog type wheel called a vacuum regulator. On the drivers side of this wheel there is a switch with two wires coming off it. The little white switch is depressed when the selector is moved to the air conditioner settings. I was able to get the clutch to engage a few times when a manually pressed in this switch with a screw driver, though not every time. I think it may be a bit corroded inside.

Does anyone know what this switch is called and where I can find one?

I was able to find a diagram and actual picture in the classic air website. The part is called a micro switch (#16-143). The rotary vacuum switch (#3-110) rotates and depresses the micro switch when the selector lever is placed on fresh or max a/c.