Sign in to follow this  
SELLERSRODSHOP

air cleaners

guys, looking for some ideas for a unique air cleaner. i want to do something different than just slapping an oval cobra filter assy on. i would like a shaker, even thinking about a torino shaker , but those are out of the budget for a while. too many important needs that the $500 or so could be spent on. i'm wondering if a 83-85 dual snorkel factory setup would fit under the hood with possibly some cold air ducting. just looking for any good , different ideas so help me out here. gimme something wild but with maybe a vintage feel.

on another note, i took the day yesterday & installed the new performer rpm intake & new holley carb. things went really well with two exceptions: first it almost took an act of congess to get the distributor out. took about an hour of soaking with release agent to get any movement, then once i got it loose enough to rotate with one hand, rotating & prying up till it came loose. only other issue was an air pocket or something that held coolant in the rear passage after draining the system down. when i finally got the intake pried loose, i dumped about a pint of water out of the rear passage into the lifter valley & down to the pan. needless to say, i also did an oil change too! everything went back together well, no leaks, the distributor dropped in right on the mark & she fired up on the first try. i modified the original throttle cable bracket today to get the measurements in the same area as the 2 bbl & the pedal height back down where it belongs & made the brackets for the kickdown return spring etc. still need to do some slight adjusting & figure out the timing isue( someone made a mark on the balancer, but car runs like total shit set at that mark) it's set by ear & feel now & really close, but want to put a vacuum guage on & reset. also discovered that there must be a 351 windsor cam installed at some time, as the firing order is 351 vs. the 302 order cast into the intake. found a really good true 12 volt source for the elec choke by tying into the keyed power wire for the wiper harness. i'll post some pics tomorrow in my "progress" thread.

A unique set up that i was kicking around for away was spectre. If you go to spectreperformance.com there are some ideas there of what you can do. It is kinda a retro thing and not sure if i would like the look but you should check it out for something different.

well, did some tinkering around today with my original after looking over the thread solo posted from vmf. i removed the snorkel ( good thing, as the flapper was siezed up in the closed position. don't see how it was getting any air at all!) also removed the tube that connects to the valve cover breather as it was right in the middle of the dizzy cap. may reattach in another more secluded position or change to a reg vc breather. made some patches & welded up the holes.

i then cut the center out of the lid & reformed the edge to fit the air filter. this will give better airflow than the 73 lid usedin the vmf thread. now i can attach a rubber seal & use a hood mounted scoop, or i can add brackets to the outer ring cut from the lid & make a midplate of sorts for a shaker scoop. i'll get this thing blasted & painted this week so it will look like something.

best thing is, i don't have a friggin' penny in this, just about 1/2 hrs. labor!

well, i got the bodywork finished on the "new" air cleaner assembly & painted it the color i'm using on the body. (pak, here's your test panels!:shifty:) i'm trying to decide if i want to use the same color on the inside, or use a contrasting color like a silver ? what do you guys think??

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

that color actually looks a lot like acapulco blue with some pearl thrown in or something. what color is that?

i like the way you built your air cleaner too, BTW. we all have similar set-ups too, mine is basically the same thing but i'm using a 14" hi-po look-a-like lid (mr gasket i think) in the stock base, currently with no snorkel because the stock one wouldn't clear the monte carlo bar but i'm planning on trying to find a different snorkel from a 70's ford that angles down more than the original 69 snorkel does. i'll also probably end up getting the same camaro ram air seal that Pak got but i'm going to try and turn it inside out when i resize it so the curled lip will be on the inside instead of the outside.

i'm gonna have to build a custom monte carlo bar for the cougar that will clear the stock snorkel since i'm planning on using the stock exhaust manifolds on the cougar build, i want the engine bay looking almost 100% stock on the cougar but with the export brace and monte carlo bar and of course my original ford muscle parts aluminum intake and 4100 autolite carb as well.

i'll also probably end up getting the same camaro ram air seal that Pak got but i'm going to try and turn it inside out when i resize it so the curled lip will be on the inside instead of the outside.

Good luck with that. I had the same thought when I first started to mod it but then you don't get the bottom lip to hook into the lip on the base nice and tight. It will just have to sit on top all loose.

oh, well nevermind then. i'll just use it as is, i guess.

Maybe as usual you can think of way I didn't, look at the cross section. I think the only option would be to try and bend the entire lip of the base in or shave it off completely.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1236&d=1174594930

well, ended up painting the inside silver, but doesn't really matter, as i bought a torino shaker scoop, rubber seal & mounting adapter, so will use the outer lid ring i cut off & fab up a midplate to mount it. i think the torino shaker with the "pointy nose" should look pretty good on the mustang hood, since it's pretty pointed also. anybody ever see one on a mustang?

"B" the color you were asking about is actually off of a non imported BMW motorcycle i painted a couple years back. there were only a handful of the bikes that ever made it to the u.s. so had to get a part scanned for the color formula. glad i saved the rest all this time. i always knew i would use it on something down the line!

I've seen the Torino Shaker on 67 and up Mustangs before, looks great. If I ever went Shaker that is what I would do, I just think it looks way better than the Mustang one.