Sign in to follow this  
jkskinsfan

Carburetor Cleaner

Although lacquer thiner has lots of uses ( I use it for starting fluid and fuel for the kids go cart), I don't think it would do much for a old carb. I would go to a local parts store (Advance, ect) and get the kind of cleaner that you can soak the whole carb in. It comes in a gallon can and you can soak it overnight or longer. It comes with a little basket so you can soak all the little parts also. It works real good.

Although lacquer thiner has lots of uses ( I use it for starting fluid and fuel for the kids go cart), I don't think it would do much for a old carb. I would go to a local parts store (Advance, ect) and get the kind of cleaner that you can soak the whole carb in. It comes in a gallon can and you can soak it overnight or longer. It comes with a little basket so you can soak all the little parts also. It works real good.

the soak type carb cleaner us probably best but lacquer thinner isn't going to hurt anything metal, don't put any kind of plastic parts in it though as it will probably disintegrate them.

the carb for my cougar was left in the soak type carb cleaner for about 10 years (PO) and if the carb cleaner had not evaporated the carb probably would have been ok but as it evaporated it left certain areas of the carb exposed to the air which caused it to erode the carb body and make a crusty deposit, and the rest of carb had this thick gooey carb cleaner tar all over it. i ended up having to get another carb off ebay, just came in today actually.

other wise it's one of the cleanest carbs i've ever seen:biggrin:

the soak type carb cleaner us probably best but lacquer thinner isn't going to hurt anything metal, don't put any kind of plastic parts in it though as it will probably disintegrate them.

the carb for my cougar was left in the soak type carb cleaner for about 10 years (PO) and if the carb cleaner had not evaporated the carb probably would have been ok but as it evaporated it left certain areas of the carb exposed to the air which caused it to erode the carb body and make a crusty deposit, and the rest of carb had this thick gooey carb cleaner tar all over it. i ended up having to get another carb off ebay, just came in today actually.

Thanks for the info, guys. I went ahead and used Lacquer Thinner. I've just finished rebuilding the Carb and it's back on the car. Charging the battery now and will try to start it in a few hours. This is the first work I've done on a Carb since I rebuilt the one on my 1953 Ford Flat-Head. Keep your fingers crossed, I'll need all of the luck I can get. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the info, guys. I went ahead and used Lacquer Thinner. I've just finished rebuilding the Carb and it's back on the car. Charging the battery now and will try to start it in a few hours. This is the first work I've done on a Carb since I rebuilt the one on my 1953 Ford Flat-Head. Keep your fingers crossed, I'll need all of the luck I can get. I'll let you know how it goes.

good thing you have one of the easiest carbs in the world to rebuild. i can rebuild the 2100/4100 in my sleep just about. in a few months i'm planning to launch on a more adventurous project with one my 1.12 venturi 4100 carbs.....i'm going to make it a clone of the much desired 1.19 venturi versions but i may go even farther than that to maybe a 1.23 rear venturi and a 1.19 front venturi or something along those lines. should be a fun and interesting project. wish me luck

good thing you have one of the easiest carbs in the world to rebuild. i can rebuild the 2100/4100 in my sleep just about. in a few months i'm planning to launch on a more adventurous project with one my 1.12 venturi 4100 carbs.....i'm going to make it a clone of the much desired 1.19 venturi versions but i may go even farther than that to maybe a 1.23 rear venturi and a 1.19 front venturi or something along those lines. should be a fun and interesting project. wish me luck

Got the Battery charged. Poured a little Fuel in the Carburetor, cranked her over and she "Fired Right Up". Runs as "Smooth As Silk", although it's idling just a tad fast. I'll adjust the Idle Speed and play around with the Needle Valves to make sure they're adjusted correctly. Makes a person feel good all over when something goes right. Next on the agenda is replacing the Leaking Fuel Pump. Hope that goes as well.

Got the Battery charged. Poured a little Fuel in the Carburetor, cranked her over and she "Fired Right Up". Runs as "Smooth As Silk", although it's idling just a tad fast. I'll adjust the Idle Speed and play around with the Needle Valves to make sure they're adjusted correctly. Makes a person feel good all over when something goes right. Next on the agenda is replacing the Leaking Fuel Pump. Hope that goes as well.

Pak said you had a Cougar, do you have any pictures of it you could post up. :w00t::innocent::biggrin: