Sign in to follow this  
cramer

when to install headers

Hello,

As probably evident from my previous post, I have been working on my engine and have another question...

When to install the headers?

Before the engine/tranny dropped into car or afterwards...

Also if before, when dropping in do I need to disconnect the steering ram to make it easier? If so no big deal since I figure I will need a drop bracket and will need to put that on.

Last question, for now :shifty:, how will I know if I need the drop bracket?

Thanks,

Marc Cramer

Depends on the headers,long or short. Most go in after the engine. I put my long tubes on from the bottom with the engine in. It wasn't too bad. If your headers hit the steering ram you will need a drop bracket and with most if not all long tube headers this is the case.

you can set the headers in place in the car when you are installing the engine, just wire them up outta the way, but the really only applies to 302 cars, 351 cars and big blocks don't have enough clearance to it this way and you'll need the drop bracket with those long tubes, the only exception i know of to this is some of the flowtech headers don't always need them but i think a lot depends on the header and what engine they are going on.

i was able to install my hedman shorty headers on my 351w with the motor fully dressed with all of the accessories, ps pump, ac compressor, alternator, clutch fan, and tranny and the headers and only had to unbolt the idler arm and drop the steering linkage to get it all in but that is not typical of most headers and for that matter most people don't drop the engine in fully dressed either, i've just done it enough times on that car that i know what will and won't work for the most part