Sign in to follow this  
69GT

Body work

I believe he didn't take off the door striker because it doesn't need any further adjustment because the doors are aligned already. As for the paint im going to go with the 69 mach blackout hood.

cool we'll have twinkies ......:biggrin:

Ya, our cars are going to probably look exactly the same except for the rims I think. I like looking at the pictures of your car to see how mines going to turn out. :tongue_smilie:

I stopped by the shop today and brought them my gas tank. I cleaned and painted it up with POR15 because in some places there was some surface rust on the top. He also undercoated the new wheel wells as well as the part the bumper covers. The car also got some fresh seam sealer inside the trunk and along the new fenders.

DSC00622.jpg

DSC00623.jpg

DSC00624.jpg

DSC00625.jpg

DSC00627.jpg

DSC00628.jpg

DSC00630.jpg

DSC00634.jpg

your car is really coming along nicely man, i'm actually jealous. your paint guy is paying more attention to the little things than my guy did. i had to do all the reassembly, undercoating, etc, all the little detail work that your guy is doing. i'm starting to think that your car will be nicer than mine....dammit!!!! :biggrin:

but, i'm going to be doing all the paint work on the cougar myself. i'll probably farm out the rust repair to the doors since it's kind of a pain and there is only one small spot on the rest of the car about the size of a quarter, that one i can handle myself. i plan on having the car's undercarriage and probably engine compartment blasted but the rest of the car has already either been stripped to bare metal and primed or is original paint and thin enough that i won't have a hard time stripping the rest of it down myself.

i will also pull the front and rear glass before i paint the car and make sure the entire car has a good coat of epoxy primer before it gets painted and goes back together, i really want to keep it as rust free as it is now for a long time to come. i will also make sure that it gets primed and blocked then sealed and lay on another coat of filler primer and let it sit for a few months before the final wet sand to reduce the shrinkage so i don't end up with a bunch of sanding scratches that can be seen once it's been painted. i'm also planning on metal working the body as much as possible to minimze the amount of filler needed as well and i will also apply new seam sealer to all the seams like your painter has done too. i don't want a show car with the cougar, really, but i do want it to be done right so it will last a really long time.

Ya, there is something to be said about doing it all yourself. You have that pride once your all done knowing that you've done everything yourself and you know exactly whats been done and how its been done. Even though I know how well things are going on mine, I won't get that 'I did it myself' factor.

Ya, there is something to be said about doing it all yourself. You have that pride once your all done knowing that you've done everything yourself and you know exactly whats been done and how its been done. Even though I know how well things are going on mine, I won't get that 'I did it myself' factor.

the main reason i'm planning on doing it myself is to preserve as much of my budget as possible, if i can paint it myself for a few hundred bucks as opposed to few thousand so i can afford to do other stuff to the cougar i'm all about it. the cougar is basically straight with only some minor daytona striping and the one small rust spot on the passenger 1/4 panel. both doors will need signifcant work but i'll probably just buy a pair of better ones, at least the passenger door anyway.

Paint!! The car has paint!! Ok, so maybe it just has paint in the trunk but its paint! I stopped by this morning and peeked in the trunk which put a giant smile on my face. The body guy sprayed the same black undercoating from the wheel wells in the trunk but decided when he was done he didn't like the way it looked. He used the color I picked out for the car and sprayed it over the black undercoating and put clear coat on top of it. The pictures I took don't quite do it justice but I think it does a good job at showing how nice it looks.

Its so nice to see actual paint on the car. :001_cool:

DSC00638.jpg

DSC00639.jpg

DSC00640.jpg

DSC00641.jpg

DSC00643.jpg

DSC00645.jpg

Edited by 69GT
spelling

Man am I jealous. You are accomplishing in a very short period of time, what will take me years to get done. I don;t care if you are doing it yourself or not, the car looks like it is being done right. Thanks for the photogs, it keeps the rest of us dreaming....

Living the dream man...

Bill in Ottawa

I stopped by and the gas tank got completely reinstalled and the fuel pump has been hooked up again. Put some gas in the tank and she fired up. The car got driven out of the shop and backed in to work on the last engine bay patch, but it was nice to hear and see the car moving again. The hood has been stripped and the rusted part of the engine bay has been cut out and is ready to receive a patch. Also, the hole below where the scoop is, was made by someone who had the car before me. It was cut rather poorly, so to make it look a little better my body guy went ahead and trimmed it a little bit to make it not look quite as ratty.

DSC00664.jpg

DSC00666.jpg

DSC00668.jpg

DSC00670.jpg

More pictures. The hood and doors are in primer. Right now they are getting block sanded and a gallon of paint has been ordered! Its getting there. Also, I didn't know they stamped the VIN on the inner skirt, but I found the VIN on both sides.

DSC00677.jpg

DSC00688.jpg

DSC00690.jpg

DSC00692.jpg

DSC00694.jpg

DSC00698.jpg

DSC00700.jpg

DSC00702.jpg

DSC00703.jpg

DSC00705.jpg

Where exactly are they stamped ? I am replacing all my aprons, I should think about stamping the new ones in the appropriate spot....

I circled where mine are in red.

VINloc.jpg

VINloc2.jpg

Stopped by and took some pictures as well as grabbed some off the camera I'm letting the body guy use. He stripped down the radiator support and took everything off to be sand blasted and painted. Front skirts have been stripped and sprayed with new undercoating. Radiator support and tops of the skirts have been sprayed with some sort heavy duty marine epoxy stuff he was telling me. It looks great. He even stripped down the underside of the hood and painted that as well. Now its down to block sanding stuff and all the small detail work. :shifty:

DSC00717.jpg

DSC00719.jpg

DSC00721.jpg

DSC00722.jpg

DSC00731.jpg

DSC00729.jpg

DSC00732.jpg

DSC00734.jpg

DSC00735.jpg

DSC00737.jpg

PICT1194.jpg

PICT1197.jpg

It looks like your guy does good work, thanks for posting photos. Can't wait to see the finished product. Do you know what color you will be painting it.

Bill

Yup, Acapulco Blue. Speaking of which, the door jams got sprayed out! Its looks beautiful. The pictures I took don't do it justice at all. The blue is so much darker and deeper looking in person. Standing in the right light almost makes the paint look like a dark blueish purple. I'm so happy I went with this color. I only wish the camera was able to capture it the way it looks in real life.

DSC00773.jpg

DSC00775.jpg

DSC00776.jpg

DSC00777.jpg

DSC00780.jpg

DSC00766.jpg

DSC00768.jpg

Your bang on about that color ! I sprayed a few pieces for my 69 vert the other night and the color is amazing. It looks like you build is moving along at a good pace. I only have a couple of hours a day to work on mine. It looks like you'll be driving the ol Stang pretty soon !!

Went by yesterday and he was fitting up the doors. I think he had the driver side door lined up and was working on the passenger. Also, the interior of the doors got painted. The section that the trim is going to be covering got the Acapulco Blue and the section below that which is visible got a coat of paint matching the interior of the car. That paint they actually had just laying around from another car so it got used on the doors, and it matches the interior perfectly. Again, the camera doesn't capture the color all that well so I took a picture of the seat against the door which still doesn't bring out the color but shows how close it is.

DSC00784.jpg

DSC00787.jpg

DSC00788.jpg

DSC00790.jpg

DSC00792.jpg

DSC00795.jpg