Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boogerschnot

Blow by..

Im getting more blow by it seems.. The motor is new about 350 miles on the build, and it seems like more blow by is coming out of the dip stick tube than before.. Its making me angry.. How can I seat the rings to lessen the blow by? I have tried getting on it quite a few times to seat them , but it doesnt seem to be working out.. I dont take it above 3000 rpm very often.. Only a handfull of times.. Any hints? im worried that Im screwing up my break in..

Booger, all I can tell you is the proven Reese way! Dictated by the mechanic Dad I was blessed with!

All below is done with cheap 30 weight oil on the break in!!!!

Reese way was to put a pc of card board over the front of the radiator (completely block off all air) and crank the motor, while warming to max. 250 deg he would tell you to rev it to 2500 or 3000 every 3 to 5 min. to spread the oil out, like you would for a cam break in. Its going to get hot! When you get to 250 deg. shut it off and don't move or crank it for 24 hrs.

Your rings are sealed, thats even how we did the race motors until they came out with total seal rings!

You also can do the hard soft if you like, he said take her to a secluded freeway and run it hard as hell to 70, then hard slow down to 45, back up and down until the motor gets hot as above 220 deg. then park it for 24 hrs. They (rings) have to completely cool down in order to seat!

When done change oil / filter, then put 500 miles, then start the 3000 mile changes you will do to her!

Trust me on the card board / 250 it works if your engine rebuild is correct, just wondering PCV all there and working. Helps clean out that blow buy.

I'm having a similar problem with my 70 351w. It's got about 200 miles on a rebuild and I'm getting oil blown out of the dip stick tube. The odd thing is that it doesn't leak a drop when the PCV is unhooked and plugged. Anyone have any ideas?

Take your PCV valve and shake it up and down. Sometimes that loosens up the internals of the valve and it will stop. I had the same thing happen on my 351 and that worked. I think it is the cheap replacement PCV valves.

I am not sure about new technology of metals but besides cam break in theory cruising on the freeway for about 500 miles adjusting from about 50 to 70 miles an hour somewhat mildly is what I was told from my grandfather ( which by the way worked for chevy for at least 30 years and also built indy cars)was the best way to break them in, and it had always worked for me

Trust me on the card board / 250 it works if your engine rebuild is correct, just wondering PCV all there and working. Helps clean out that blow buy.

If your rebuild is correct, you shouldn't have to resort to overheating your engine to break it in.

Usually when rings don't seat, especially with modern machine shop cylinder wall technology and ring materials, it is because an over rich condition causes fuel wash on the cylinder walls.

If your rebuild is correct, you shouldn't have to resort to overheating your engine to break it in.

Usually when rings don't seat, especially with modern machine shop cylinder wall technology and ring materials, it is because an over rich condition causes fuel wash on the cylinder walls.

that may have beeen the thing.. Since I tuned the carb i have gotten No blowby.. No steam coming out of the breather hose to the air cleaner either!.. Its a big relief.. Ive got right at 540 miles on it.. need to change the oil and filter too now.. Ive noticed that it quit leaking oil too..