Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

foothilltom

Duplicolor Paint Shop (tm) user stories?

Hi guys,

Wondering if anybody has first-hand (or close to it) experience with a paint product called "Paint Shop" from Duplicolor. It's basically paint you don't have to reduce/harden/pray over before you spray it. I'm thinking it's designed for the first-timer like me.

I've come full-circle and decided to fully resurrect my "donor car" (that I've grown fond of) while restoring my son's car (currently having its engine removed SLOOOOOWLY) and am resolved to paint the car myself. I'm not interested in spending big dough, but I do want the experience to be as simple as I can make it the first time.

I've got the compressor, gun, and all that jazz, but am wondering if Paint Shop is considered super-crappy paint. I get the "you get what you pay for thing", but I'm more interested in results.

This car is definitely going to be a 15 footer. I've replaced the roof (as I've mentioned some time ago) and am not totally horrified by the result. I've done all the body work myself (more first time stuff) and am ready to prime/paint!

Here's a pic and a shameless attempt for positive feedback:

http://picasaweb.google.com/tdayton/MustangStuff/photo#5163904101386145778

The roof was entirely rusted and gone, and the trunk lid was rusted through at the point where it overlaps the rear.

Anyway, if anybody has a Duplicolor story or a suggestion for a different paint (I'm open to a 1-stage or 2-stage job), I'm all ears.

Thanks as always,

Tom

tom, if you are looking for a decent quality , reasonable price paint, check with your ppg supplier on the "omni" line. it's great stuff & very easy to work with. i would be really wary of any uncatylized paint as far as durability & longevity. i have omni on my driver truck. it sits outside in the weather & has lasted just fine for 8 yrs now.

i used duplicolor paint when i had to repaint the drivers door on my old jeep cherokee and it worked it well and looked really nice even almost 3 years after i sprayed it but it wasn't the "paint shop" lacquer system it was a single stage acrylic enamel. if the paint shop works as well as that stuff did i would be ok with using it but i don't like their pre-packaged colors so i'm not going to be using it. i think i'm going to go with something like the omni system on the cougar. if you like the color offered in the paint shop system go ahead and give it a try, even if you end repainting the car in 2 or 3 years it's some experience under your belt anyway. my brother is planning on using the paint shop stuff on his 70 GMC 3/4 ton in the next few months

I most likely will have a vinyl top installed. My local trim guy will do it for approx. $500, so I figured I'll spend the extra time trying to make it look good enough as a hard top, but it's turning out to be nearly impossible.

My plan at this point is to paint the entire car (on the relative cheap), get the experience, and hopefully do a better job with my son's car (with better paint as well). If the top looks Ok after paint, I may delay the vinyl until I go to sell it.

At the very least, I will have succeeded in the plan of having a "donor car" that's able to sit outside while we attack my son's car in earnest. Right now, I have two Mustangs taking up my garage and that's not very popular with my wife. Getting the donor car "water tight" is necessary to get it out of the garage and I figure I can get the experience along the way.

This car stuff is addictive, man. I find myself taking 2 hours at lunch now to work on it. There's probably something wrong with that. ;)

Thanks for the input!

Tom

Tom, as everyone knows what the job will look like is all about prep work. I know you want to shoot a 15 footer, but if you took your time on prep ie ( a very good primer/surfacer and took a while to block sand it you will be amazed that it now becomes a very nice job, not show quality but very nice,) The block sanding is very important to level the surface, this would also be a great job for your son to learn to do as this will be needed for his car. It is not fun to do and it is time consuming but why not learn on this car? 2nd PPG Omni, the color you choose will also reflect price, ie reds are the most expensive. You should have a large compressor to run the gun Im assuming HVLP and dont forget the air has to be dry!!!!! Hope this helps remember if its prepared right the car will look good for you. I hope you consider BC/CC Finish to me that is the easiest to shoot for 1st timers and you can correct b-4 clear. I wish you luck. David